Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Raluca Halalai <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2010/05/22 16:22:12 UTC

Community Detection using Mahout

Hello,

First of all, congratulations for a great framework!

My name is Raluca Halalai and I'm a final year undergraduate in CS at the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
I am currently working on my diploma thesis, in community detection.

I used Mahout to implement a community detection algorithm based on the method presented in http://dns2.icar.cnr.it/pizzuti/PPSN08.pdf
It is a genetic algorithm implemented similarly to the Class Discovery evolutionary algorithm .

I tested the community detection method on subsets of data extracted from DBLP http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/
Due to the size and complexity of DBLP, only a distributed approach is feasible.

If you think this is a useful example for others, I am willing to upload the sources and provide explanations.

Thanks again for a great framework.
Raluca

Re: Community Detection using Mahout

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raluca,
                On behalf on the Mahout community, thanks for using Mahout
and glad that you liked it. Code contributions are always welcome. See
https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/howtocontribute.html on how you can
contribute. Make sure you follow conventions before making the patch. Also
do send a rough diagram/document/email on how it works and how it integrates
with rest of Mahout, with things like Vector, Matrix etc.

Looking forward to your patch
Robin