Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Ruane, Conleth" <co...@hp.com> on 2003/05/05 14:53:08 UTC

MSSoap client to Apache Service Complex types

Hi all.

I'm working on an interface between a legacy system and a
SOAP service implemented using Apache SOAP.

Since I've done ASP pages before I decided to use SOAPClient in an ASP page
(VBScript) that accepts posts from the legacy system, pass appropriate data to
the service and pass the response back to the legacy system.
My first experiments calling methods using simple data types and
arrays of simple data types were successful.

However some of the methods require (and return) complex data types
(structures) and after some reading and searching mailing lists I think it's clear
to me how to handle complex data types between ASP (MS-SOAP) clients and Apache
SOAP services though I haven't tried it yet.

I'm just wondering if using JSP and Apache SOAP for the clients would be
the 'better' solution since I already have a jar file with the necessary classes for
the complex data types (supplied and maintained by the maintainers of the service).
For the ASP solution I would have to implement, maintain and register appropriate com objects myself.

I originally chose the ASP approach because I've already done some ASP pages
but I also have extensive JAVA experience (just no JSP experience) and Tomcat is available
on the machine where my interface is to be deployed.

I would appreciate any info that might further help me decide.

Thanks

Con

Re: MSSoap client to Apache Service Complex types

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Yes, JSP would be easier than ASP for complex types, since you have
the Java classes for those types already.  To use ASP, you would need
to either use the low-level API of the SOAP Toolkit to deserialize
the types, or you would, I believe, need to create COM objects for
the types and "register" them with MS SOAP to deserialize to them.  I
am not sure how this works, as I have not deserialized complex types
with the high level API.

If you want to try the low level API, there is a link to a sample at
http://www.scottnichol.com/vbclientapachesoap.htm.

On 5 May 2003 at 14:53, Ruane, Conleth wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm working on an interface between a legacy system and a
> SOAP service implemented using Apache SOAP.
>
> Since I've done ASP pages before I decided to use SOAPClient in an ASP page
> (VBScript) that accepts posts from the legacy system, pass appropriate data to
> the service and pass the response back to the legacy system.
> My first experiments calling methods using simple data types and
> arrays of simple data types were successful.
>
> However some of the methods require (and return) complex data types
> (structures) and after some reading and searching mailing lists I think it's clear
> to me how to handle complex data types between ASP (MS-SOAP) clients and Apache
> SOAP services though I haven't tried it yet.
>
> I'm just wondering if using JSP and Apache SOAP for the clients would be
> the 'better' solution since I already have a jar file with the necessary classes for
> the complex data types (supplied and maintained by the maintainers of the service).
> For the ASP solution I would have to implement, maintain and register appropriate com objects myself.
>
> I originally chose the ASP approach because I've already done some ASP pages
> but I also have extensive JAVA experience (just no JSP experience) and Tomcat is available
> on the machine where my interface is to be deployed.
>
> I would appreciate any info that might further help me decide.
>
> Thanks
>
> Con

Scott Nichol

Do not reply directly to this e-mail address,
as it is filtered to only receive e-mail from
specific mailing lists.