Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Andrew Otto <ao...@wikimedia.org> on 2015/07/30 23:37:38 UTC

Decomissioning a broker

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I can’t seem to find the answer.

I’m planning a Kafka cluster expansion and upgrade to 0.8.2.1.  In doing so, I will be decommissioning a broker.  I plan to remove this broker fully from the cluster, and then reinstall it and use it for a different purpose.

I understand how to use the reassign-partitions tool to generate new partition assignments and to move partitions around so that the target broker no longer has any active replicas.  Once that is done, is there anything special that needs to happen?  I can shutdown the broker, but as far as I know that broker will still be registered in Zookeeper.  Should I just delete the znode for that broker once it has been shut down?

Thanks!
-Andrew Otto

Re: Decomissioning a broker

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.
Thats correct. Thanks for catching that.

Re: Decomissioning a broker

Posted by Andrew Otto <ao...@wikimedia.org>.
Thanks!

Re: Decomissioning a broker