Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "I. Camps" <ic...@df.ufscar.br> on 2004/01/08 12:40:14 UTC

<< Graphical User Interface for Ant >>

Hello,

Do you know if there are a program (free or not) with a Graphical User
Interface to create xml Ant scripts from scratchs?

I am trying to use Antelope as a plugin of JEdit, but I am not been able to
create the scripts form scratch.

Regards,

Camps

Re: << Graphical User Interface for Ant >>

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2004, at 2:40 PM, Jack Woehr wrote:
> > I'm interested in seeing that happen. I'm not officially a committer
> > yet. I suppose I could
> > compile it and put it up on my own personal website if that is legal
> > under the apache
> > license (of course with a link to Apache Ant website)??? Conor & et
> > al., is this legal???
>
> Quite legal!

Okay, I will do that .. will post back when it is up.

> Go for it - and perhaps that would convince us that we need to have
> Antidote built in.  Perhaps we could build it into Ant distributions in
> the future?

Actually, to be honest, I don't think it's entirely that polished yet. I sorta
suspect I'm the only person doing any work on it currently, and I'm sorta
logjammed trying to work out better communication with the maintainer C.
Wilhelms. (Or to wangle committer status on Antidote for myself.)

If we get it a little further down the road with it, that would be time to add
it to the distrib.

--
Jack J. Woehr      # You measure democracy by the freedom it
Senior Consultant  # gives its dissidents, not the freedom

Re: << Graphical User Interface for Ant >>

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 9, 2004, at 2:40 PM, Jack Woehr wrote:
> I'm interested in seeing that happen. I'm not officially a committer
> yet. I suppose I could
> compile it and put it up on my own personal website if that is legal
> under the apache
> license (of course with a link to Apache Ant website)??? Conor & et
> al., is this legal???

Quite legal!

Go for it - and perhaps that would convince us that we need to have
Antidote built in.  Perhaps we could build it into Ant distributions in
the future?

	Erik

Re: << Graphical User Interface for Ant >>

Posted by Jack Woehr <ja...@purematrix.com>.
Dale Anson wrote:

> Jack,
>
> Antidote suffers from being easily accessible. It would be good if there
> were precompiled binaries available for download. Weren't you helping
> out with Antidote? Can you do anything to make it easier to get?

I'm interested in seeing that happen. I'm not officially a committer yet. I suppose I could
compile it and put it up on my own personal website if that is legal under the apache
license (of course with a link to Apache Ant website)??? Conor & et al., is this legal???

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "[F]ar in the empty sky a solitary esophagus slept
http://www.well.com/~jax #  upon motionless wing; everywhere brooded stillness,

Re: << Graphical User Interface for Ant >>

Posted by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com>.
Jack,

Antidote suffers from being easily accessible. It would be good if there
were precompiled binaries available for download. Weren't you helping
out with Antidote? Can you do anything to make it easier to get?

Dale

Posted by "Jack J. Woehr" <ja...@purematrix.com>.

Posted by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com>.
Antelope won't do any more than any text editor for creating scripts. It
is really intended more as an easy way to run Ant scripts rather than
creating them. When used with jEdit as a plugin, it is worth installing
the XML plugin also. The XML plugin supplies auto tag completion and
some dialogs for setting attributes, coupled with Antelope, it makes a
pretty decent package for editing Ant files.

I have envisioned creating a drag and drop interface for Antelope for
quite a while, something like where you could pick tasks from a list and
drop them on a target, setting attributes as appropriate (picking from a
list, etc). If anyone has used the old Wise installer application,
that's the sort of interface I was thinking of. It turns out that this
is hard -- the Ant API doesn't really look at tasks as being like java
beans, so it's hard to find out exactly what a task allows for attribute
values and nested elements. I'd be interested to know if anyone has come
up with something like this.

Dale

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.