Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Ax...@europe.adp.com> on 2004/10/15 17:20:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.49: libthread panic: fault in libthread critical section : dumping core

Hi all,

The problem described below has been submitted to Sun Support becaue I suspect a possible problem with libthread on Solaris 8. I have found no Bugzilla BR bearing any similarities with the problem at hand. So far I have not been able to get any core file to analyse. The Apache process just does not seem to generate any core file despite the error message. I have checked the ulimit of root as well as the user the server runs as but have not been able to find anything explaining why I cannot get a core file.

We use the MPM worker, dbm SSL session cache.

Does any one have any ideas on how to approach this problem?

-ascs

Hardware Platform: Sun Fire V210
Component Affected: OS Kernel
OS and Kernel Version: SunOS olmeto 5.8 Generic_117350-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210

Describe the problem: [What is wrong with the system?]
During execution of an Apache 2.0.49 server with MPM worker on a dual-processor V210, we get numerous errors in /usr/lib/libthread.so.1

Error message pasted at the bottom of this report.

We have not been able to actually get a core file, and when attaching a debugger to the process, the error never occurs.

[Did this function previously work properly?]
We have previously done extensive tests of our application using benchmarking tools, without having ever observed this behaviour. The tests were however performed using a V240 (dual-processor). We have also successfully run this application on a Netra T1 (single-processor)

[What have you already tried to do?]
Replacing /usr/lib/libthread.so with /usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so (by adjusting LD_LIBRARY_PATH) does solve the problem but the memory footprint of our processes becomes unacceptable. We do not know what other impacts this might have on the application.

We have updated the OS with a more recent patch bundle.

We have also tried to run the application with LD_BIND_NOW=1 in the environment.

[Copy and paste error messages from /var/adm or console log outputs.]
libthread panic: fault in libthread critical section : dumping core (PID: 2540 L
WP 1)
stacktrace:
fed3acd0
fed3b834