Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by Arthur Chen <zi...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/14 14:07:08 UTC

summary of realclass license problem

Hi all,

I have checked all the code of realclass system, founding the following
libraries are conflicted with ASL:

a) libavcodec and libavformat (from ffmpeg 0.4.8).   Solved by recompiling
ffmpeg 0.4.9 as LGPLed, to adapt to the system, the video codec is changed
from MPEG1 to MPEG4

b) 1394dv libraries (one of them is GPLed) . Since webcam is good for the
system, we just delete the 1394dv support.

c) arts library(GPLed). I have finished using SDL to replace artsd to play
audio stream, but the sound effect is not good (noise exist).
d) oss APIs (soundcard.h)  I have seen the declaration in soundcard.h and
thought it's totally free to use. Also I have searched the oss forum and
found different opinions on the license of soundcard.h.
   I am still a little confused.

So I think realclass system have no license problems now.
I am trying to solve the noise problem of SDL, once it is finished, we can
start to prepare for the release.

Regards,
Arthur

Re: summary of realclass license problem

Posted by Arthur Chen <zi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Kevin.
I know we are just at the beginning stage, and we should work harder to make
it go well.

Regards,
Arthur

Posted by Samuel Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Arthur.

2009/9/14 Arthur Chen <zi...@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I have checked all the code of realclass system, founding the following
> libraries are conflicted with ASL:
>
> a) libavcodec and libavformat (from ffmpeg 0.4.8).   Solved by recompiling
> ffmpeg 0.4.9 as LGPLed, to adapt to the system, the video codec is changed
> from MPEG1 to MPEG4
>
> b) 1394dv libraries (one of them is GPLed) . Since webcam is good for the
> system, we just delete the 1394dv support.
>
> c) arts library(GPLed). I have finished using SDL to replace artsd to play
> audio stream, but the sound effect is not good (noise exist).
> d) oss APIs (soundcard.h)  I have seen the declaration in soundcard.h and
> thought it's totally free to use. Also I have searched the oss forum and
> found different opinions on the license of soundcard.h.

i would post this problem on  legal-discussion mailing list see if anyone
could help.

>   I am still a little confused.
>
> So I think realclass system have no license problems now.
> I am trying to solve the noise problem of SDL, once it is finished, we can
> start to prepare for the release.

i guess we still need to format the source code so that it is apt to
generate API doc by doxygen. And updating the relavent  docs. Then we can
say that we are on the way of release....

> Regards,
> Arthur

regards,
Kevin