Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Tony Dean <To...@sas.com> on 2005/07/27 00:25:35 UTC

mtom vs. swa

In the Axis2 documentation, I read a blurp about the definition of MTOM.  I will include it here:

MTOM (SOAP Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism) <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PR-soap12-mtom-20041116/>  is a elegent solution for the above problems created by merging the above two techniques. MTOM is actually a "by reference" method. Wire format of a MTOM optimised message is same as the Soap with Attachments message , which also makes it backward compatible with SwA endpoints. Most notable feature of MTOM is the use of XOP:Include element which is declared in XML Binary Optimized Packaging (XOP) <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PR-xop10-20041116/>  specification to refer to the binary attachments of the message.With the use of this exclusive element the attached binary content logically become inline(by value) with the SOAP document even though actually it is attached seperately. This merges the two realms by making it possible to work only with one data model. With this the it becomes trivial to idetify the data by looking at XML making reliance on DTDs obsolute. With this
the technologies which works based XML component of the data can work with one data model.

I do not understand how you can say "Wire format of a MTOM optimised message is same as the Soap with Attachments message , which also makes it backward compatible with SwA endpoints."  They are not the same as far as I can tell.  An Indigo (WSE 3.0) client sending MTOM/XOP mime attachment content would cause an Axis 1.2 server to choke because it would not understand type="application/xop+xml".  It would only be able to process SwA attachment content.  Right?  I'm I missing something here.

Thanks in advance for clearing this statement up.

-Confused.

Tony Dean
SAS Institute Inc.
919.531.6704
tony.dean@sas.com

SAS... The Power to Know
http://www.sas.com

Re: [Axis2] Fwd: mtom vs. swa

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
What we meant by wire format is the packaging and arrangement of MIME parts
in the message.. SwA uses Content-ID's & Elements with "href" attributes to
identify MIME parts (Of course SwA supports Content-Location which is not
mentioned in MTOM/XOP)... MTOM does the same (With addition of XOP element
)...
 I will not accept the statement about Axis 1.2 would fails unless somebody
proves it using Axis2... Couple of guys tested Axis2 .9 with Axis1.2 and I
heard them saying it worked......
 ~Thilina

[Axis2] Fwd: mtom vs. swa