Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2003/04/09 06:23:11 UTC

XMLObjects

Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning the removal of XMLObject in 1.1.

I was interested in possibly building an XMLObject to store very large
"table like" fragments of my XML documents in a relation db that would
be XQuery/XUpdate/... accessable from Xindice. But now I here that
XMLObject has been removed and I'm kind stuck. Is there any alternative
for my usecase that Xindice is planning? Or would it be possible for me
to "resurect" an XMLObject interface for my needs?

-Mark Diggory

Re: XMLObjects

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Kurt Ward wrote:

>As far as "including" parts
>of the xml from relational data, I'm not convinced
>that it will work the way you intend it to.

Hmm, I'd like to hear your argument as to why it might not. It might
save me going down a dead end path caused by my own naivety.

>When I
>have something ready for use with the system I am
>working on, I will post to the list.

Great, I'll look forward to hearing about it in the future.

-Mark

Re: XMLObjects

Posted by Kurt Ward <ku...@yahoo.com>.
I am simply saying that server extensions or "stored
procedure" type customizations are somewhat still
available.  Whether or not your project can benefit
from this, I'm not sure.  As far as "including" parts
of the xml from relational data, I'm not convinced
that it will work the way you intend it to. When I

Re: XMLObjects

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Yes, It does sound of interest, I guess I need to clarify the goal I'm
reaching for and see if what your working on can meet that goal:

I have xml documents that I want to place into a Xindice Collection that
generally look like this:

<codeBook>
    <stdyDscr>
       <!-- these sections are resonable in size and can go directly
into Xindice-->
    </stdyDscr>
    <dataDscr>
       <!- this section is not reasonable in size, variables can number
in the thousands and contain large amounts of information. I want these
sections to be in a different storage solution but be retrievable witht

Re: XMLObjects

Posted by Kurt Ward <ku...@yahoo.com>.
Mark,

Re: XMLObjects