Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by kj...@kemedhaug.net on 2013/10/08 21:16:32 UTC

What to do about ellipsis...

Do we use the ellipsis character in translations even when the English
source has three consecutive periods?

Kjell

Re: What to do about ellipsis...

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 October 2013 21:35, <kj...@kemedhaug.net> wrote:

> Siterer Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>:
>

>  On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM, <kj...@kemedhaug.net> wrote:
>>
>>  Do we use the ellipsis character in translations even when the English
>>> source has three consecutive periods?
>>>
>>> Kjell
>>>

>> Tal: I don't think so, since this translation won't pass the tests, and
>> will be marked with an error. I usually use "..."
>>

> I have also done that, but I thought I saw somewhere that the ellipsis
> character was preferred.
>
> Anyway, the automated tests are only for advisory reasons, right?
> I mean, when language differences make different ways of expression more
> natural, the human judgement should take precedence even if it results in a
> change of such things as sentence count or other punctuation change.

If you by automated tests mean the pootle online test, then they are only
advisory, and should be controlled but not blindly followed.

We do however have other tests, between pootle and the final installation
set, and these are mandatory to pass. Those are merely syntactic checks not
semantic (e.g. check if xml tags are valid).

rgds
jan I.

> Kjell

Re: What to do about ellipsis...