Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Joe D. Williams" <jo...@mindspring.com> on 2003/12/13 22:34:57 UTC

Form validation problem

Working on the examples in Chapter 12 of Lajos and Jeremy's book, I cannot
get the new ticket form to return the results. It just keeps displaying the
blank form,
without updating the database.

I am running Cocoon 2.0.4 on Tomcat 4.1.27 standalone with J2SDK1.4.1 and
MySQL 4.0.16

The idea is to use the "org.apache.cocoon.acting.DatabaseAddAction" to put
the info from a set of forms into a db.

The info must first be validated using
"org.apache.cocoon.acting.FormValidatorAction". Looking at the sitemap log
for the logger "sitemap.action.validator" I find a number of messages where
it is validating the info from the forms.

After this, there is a message: "All form params validated. An error
occurred."

There is nothing in the error log about this. But, in the core.log there is
a warning: "ExcaliburComponentSelector: Attempted to release a null
component."

Re: Form validation problem

Posted by Mariusz Sieraczkiewicz <ma...@o2.pl>.
I don't know the answer, but I've a suggestion. Using actions is old way
of creating forms. There is great stuff developed recently for handling
forms (validatin, binding etc.) called CocoonForms (WOODY). Dig into
user docs and wiki pages and you'll find helpful information on flexible
and powerful way of creating forms (also those backed up by database).

Regards

Re: Form validation problem

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Joe D. Williams wrote:
> Working on the examples in Chapter 12 of Lajos and Jeremy's book, I cannot
> get the new ticket form to return the results. It just keeps displaying the
> blank form,
> without updating the database.
>
> I am running Cocoon 2.0.4 on Tomcat 4.1.27 standalone with J2SDK1.4.1 and
> MySQL 4.0.16
>
> The idea is to use the "org.apache.cocoon.acting.DatabaseAddAction" to put
> the info from a set of forms into a db.
>
> The info must first be validated using
> "org.apache.cocoon.acting.FormValidatorAction". Looking at the sitemap log
> for the logger "sitemap.action.validator" I find a number of messages where
> it is validating the info from the forms.
>
> After this, there is a message: "All form params validated. An error
> occurred."

There will be a message in the sitemap.log indicating the validation
error. In addition, the info is available as request attribute (so dump
all request attributes on your page and you'll see).

Besides, you should consider to move to cocoon forms aka Woody or at
least use the database actions from the modular package. Their interface
is a lot more consistent and have more docs.

	Chris.