Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Cooley <pa...@thecooleys.net> on 2004/06/19 17:48:54 UTC

Licensing

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I am in the process of creating services for an open-source project
(based on a for-hire project I've been doing) and want to make the
services available for all who would like to use them.

However, the Apache license does rather stipulate that code belongs to
the apache project.

I wonder if any of you know of a way to license the interfaces for the
services under one license while the implementation can be shared for
all.  Essentially what I want to do is make the interfaces free (as in
freedom --gpl) and still have the services be compatible with the
licenses Merlin and Avalon use.

I'm not interested in charging people for my work.  But I am interested
in making sure I both own my work and retain the right to ensure it's
distributed properly.

Any suggestions?

And yes, these services (should they be found helpful) are intended any
avalon service repository.

Cheers.

Re: Licensing

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 19 June 2004 23:48, Paul Cooley wrote:

> However, the Apache license does rather stipulate that code belongs to
> the apache project.

I think you misunderstand the license.
1. You are not allowed to remove the copyright of the source.
2. You must distribute the license with the product (which includes the
copyright notice).
3. You are not allowed to use the Apache "brands" to promote your product,
without written consent *

Besides that, IANAL, you free to do pretty much what you want.
You can base your own code on top of, or integrate into, derive or whatever,
and then re-license the total package any way you like, BSD/ASF-style, (L)GPL
or commercial.

I you 're-use' the license itself, just replace "The Apache Software
Foundation" with your own name or entity, and the appropriate "brands". Of
course, the license applies to any part of the combined work BUT the
Copyright is never revoked from the sources.

I hope that was clear enough.

Cheers
Niclas

* The "consent" has been a hot topic before, and I am not sure what wordings
are appropriate and what are not. Just ask when the time comes.

--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Licensing

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Paul Cooley wrote:

> Long-time lurker, first time poster.
>
> I am in the process of creating services for an open-source project
> (based on a for-hire project I've been doing) and want to make the
> services available for all who would like to use them.
>
> However, the Apache license does rather stipulate that code belongs to
> the apache project.

You can adapt the license for your own use.

> I wonder if any of you know of a way to license the interfaces for the
> services under one license while the implementation can be shared for
> all.  Essentially what I want to do is make the interfaces free (as in
> freedom --gpl) and still have the services be compatible with the
> licenses Merlin and Avalon use.

I would go with an Apache "style" license for both API and impl. I'm
sure we could dig up an example of this - in fact ASL 2.0 specifically
enables this but I need to find some docs about this.

Stephen.