Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by carl wilson <wi...@iinet.net.au> on 2014/08/18 04:02:12 UTC

Sneak in Scam

Dear Sir/Madam

There is an Indian based "Company" Techliveconnect that is using you as a
means of convincing potential users that that they have major computer
problems particularly when they download a piece of software called
Driverdoctor. They appear to be a well organised scam with the charges going
through a Dutch "company" called Avangate. Do you know of them

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Bruce Pierson <bp...@gmail.com>.
My mother received one of these calls.  My mother is 82 and has never owned
a computer, nor has any intention of ever doing so.  They still continued
following the same script about how she needed to call them and get her
computer repaired.  They finally hung up when she told them it was
"pathetically obvious" that they were scammers.

-Bruce-

*"But still darkness is no reason, we are made of sterner stuff, and our
swords though old and rusty, still were blunted sharp enough."*

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by jd1008 <jd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Tony Gallas <to...@spin.net.au>.
They used to call us as well, always claiming to be from Microsoft. My
wife would always be the one to answer and would disconnect. I happened
to answer one day. I asked them which computer they were asking about.
"Your personal computer, the one you use" he replied. I said to him then
"This is a business, we've got about 30 computers. Which one has the
problem?" After some confused spluttering he disconnected, and we
haven't heard from him since!

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by "Vincent A. Juliano" <vj...@optonline.net>.

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Tony Gallas <to...@spin.net.au>.
Brian, that's a very likely explanation. I made the mistake many years
ago of clicking on the big green button. I can't remember now what I
got, but it installed something that caused me problems and it took a
while for me to realise what had happened. Once I did, I uninstalled the
offending software and have never toughed a big green button since.

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Because many data service providers interface *only* through Internet Explorer. That can be handled. But the VB code the services use won't run on Mac or Linux.

I'm a real estate appraiser and our local Multiple Listing Service uses a database/web application that runs only on IE. I've asked several times for just plain ascii access: Here's a map number, send me all the properties. He cannot do that, and his board won't let him change the software that they paid thousands for, and keep paying a high subscription fee for. I finally just cancelled my subscription and do things the old-fashioned way.

But mostly, I think using Windows is just a bad habit that's harder to quit than smoking.

Jim Plante

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 08/19/2014 05:13 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
/snip/

> Some non-SourceForge sites which come top of Google searches use a DownloadManager (or similar name) of about 34MB to download OpenOffice. Such sites, in my limited experience of investigating complaints on the en-Forum, always include unwanted add-ons, usually an intrusive and persistent toolbar and who knows what other nasties.  Unfortunately one cannot unquestioningly accept the URLs reported by inexperienced computer users - they often report that they used their desired URL, not the actual URL used.

/snip/

That damned Download Manager crap is one of the reasons I avoid using
anything Windows. When I had to reinstall a Windows system not too long
ago, I went to
get Firefox, and sure enough, I got the Conduit virus, which is one
bitch to get rid of! I wonder why more people don't just come to Linux?

--doug

Re: Sneak in Scam

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--