Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2023/04/29 01:28:16 UTC

Hupa or Alternative

I realize that Hupa project has been retired.  However, I need to embed
a webMail client into my web site, and Hupa appears to be able to do
what I need.  But all of the source and binary download links on the
Apache Hupa page are dead.

Is there a new/better alternative to Hupa now?  If not, is there some
place I can download the binary for Hupa?

Thanks.

Re: Hupa or Alternative

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
David, thanks for the quick response.  JWMA didn't show up in my
original google search.  It looks like it will definitely meet my
needs.  Is there a forum for tech discussions for JWMA?

Thanks again.

Jerry

Re: Hupa or Alternative

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
David,

Thanks again.  I'm not really concerned about it working properly.
Totally trust you there... :-)   I have a few specific
requirements/desires that I might want to discuss with you.  It might be
a bit premature now since I haven't yet started playing with it.  But
I'd like to embed this into my client's backoffice web site and have a
user's JWMA instance as part of the user's currently existing profile
page.  The login to JWMA would be automatic based on the user's
profile.  The fewer moving parts I have to expose to the user, the
better :-).   I'm having fits with users having to configure
Thunderbird/Outlook/iPhone/Android/etc in order to get their mail.
Initially, just having a link to the JWMA client page will be a huge
improvement.   I'll likely be back to you with a few questions about
future integration when I get the first step going.

Jerry

Re: Hupa or Alternative

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
David,

Definitely wouldn't ask for additional coding from you.  I could create
private Git branch and tweak it there.

The only thing I would really like to have initially is some way to
bypass the signin page and bring up JWMA already authenticated to a
certain ID/PW.  Something like calling JWMA with a hashcode on the URL
that can be resolved to a user ID/PW entry in the user db.  Again, I can
tweak the code and add a few things, just as long as I can figure out
how to do it.

I may be in touch later :-). Thanks for all your help.

Jerry

Re: Hupa or Alternative

Posted by David Matthews <ma...@dmatthews.org.INVALID>.
hi Jerry

If you add code which is going to make jwma useful more widely than just yourself there's no reason why you'd need to do it privately. My main interest is that the arty black + shades of grey is kept, which was never my work.

I think it's a bit of a pity that the jakarta/java email stuff is not more widely used, in particular for webmail access. Seems like a easy solution to me. I also despair at email being handed over entirely to big interests; more people should run their own mail exchangers.

My private email is on the jwma site at sourcforge and this is not a James issue - please use that if you want to chat more

--
David Matthews
mail@dmatthews.org

Re: Hupa or Alternative