Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gianluca Bosco <g....@bitache.net> on 2004/09/24 14:26:08 UTC

[users@httpd] conf/ssl.conf being ignored by Apache? Why?

Hi,

   I'm trying to get Apache 2.0.51 to work with SSL support, which I
need for setting up a secure webmail service.

The problem is that - Apache seems to ignore the configuration settings
contained into the file conf/ssl.conf, thus making the SSL feature
totally unavailable. As an example, the "Listen 443" directive into
ssl.conf is ignored since if I try to telnet 443, no answer is given. In
addition, the presence of typos (made on purpose, to test whether
ssl.conf is loaded by Apache) does _not_ make Apache to complain.

What might make Apache to ignore the file ssl.conf?

Some information you may deem useful:

1) httpd.conf contains:

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
     Include conf/ssl.conf
</IfModule>

2) ssl.conf exists and is readable in the stated directory

3) "./httpd -l" gives has an output:

  mod_ssl.c

4) Apache has been compiled with the following options:

./configure --prefix=/opt/apache-2051 --enable-ssl
--with-ssl=/opt/openssl-097d --enable-so

Can you help me with that?

Thank you very much!

-Gianluca

Re: [users@httpd] conf/ssl.conf being ignored by Apache? Why?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:26:08 +0200, Gianluca Bosco <g....@bitache.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm trying to get Apache 2.0.51 to work with SSL support, which I
> need for setting up a secure webmail service.
>
> The problem is that - Apache seems to ignore the configuration settings
> contained into the file conf/ssl.conf, thus making the SSL feature
> totally unavailable. As an example, the "Listen 443" directive into
> ssl.conf is ignored since if I try to telnet 443, no answer is given. In
> addition, the presence of typos (made on purpose, to test whether
> ssl.conf is loaded by Apache) does _not_ make Apache to complain.
>
> What might make Apache to ignore the file ssl.conf?

Open ssl.conf and remove the <IfDefine SSL> and </IfDefine> lines.

Joshua.