Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/01/10 16:17:56 UTC

Offering some project management services

Hey all,

I've recently had some cycles free up I can dedicate to the open-source
project. My intuition is that I can add the most value right now by
engaging in some simple project management type work (help get assignees
and reviewers for things critical path for 4.0, help stimulate and
facilitate discussions about scope for the upcoming release and subsequent
releases, general triage and test board health, etc).

Before I wade into the project and start poking and prodding us all, does
anyone have any concerns with me stepping (back ;) ) into this role, or
have any feedback or recommendations before doing so?

Re: Offering some project management services

Posted by Sankalp Kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.
We discussed about the video call on the dev list and everyone agreed to it.

I also welcome Josh in helping with the project. Like Josh and Dinesh mentioned, let’s encourage contributions by allowing non-committers to do first round of review as I don’t see a downside of doing this. These video calls and email updates can help motivate others to help with reviews and write patches. I feel it is worth a try!!

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
I don't think there was anything wrong with the linked thread.

On 11/01/2020, 18:19, "Sankalp Kohli" <ko...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Words are open to interpretation but I do not see anyone telling anyone anything but proposing it in this and other thread. AFAIK, people who tell even accidentally don’t start a discussion thread or ask for feedback before they do things.
    The thread on video calls was a discussion and no one objected to it so community is starting it. No one told anyone that this must happen.
    This thread Josh is asking if he can help and not telling anyone he will do it.

    Ideas and suggestions can be interrupted as told but again that is interpreted differently but everyone.

    (We have a thread I linked so let’s move there if anyone has suggestion on video call To keep all context in one thread)

Posted by Sankalp Kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sankalp Kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by sankalp kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Andreas <sc...@paradoxica.net>.
Happy to add detail on the origin of this from my side –

At NGCC 2019 alongside ApacheCon in Las Vegas this year, I proposed the idea of periodic public video calls and an approach toward executing on the roles of product and release management as a community of volunteers. The thesis of the presentation was that "we can perform the functions of [product and release] management as volunteers and the project’s governance can help support it" (quoting my presenters' notes), attached.

The presentation also proposed periodic public video calls among contributors, and ideally among the user community:

–––
* Public video calls
– Moderated, published agenda, recorded, and hosts rotated.
– Emcee owns timekeeping and execution of meeting agenda.
– Low-fi: light on prep and production value.
– Could be applied either among contributors or Cassandra users.
–––

After the presentation, Patrick came up to me and generously offered to donate the use of a Zoom account to host such a call among contributors. A hypothetical agenda might look like covering the status of tickets screened to 4.0, the status of test/qualification plans on Confluence, a quick check-in on the 3.0 and 3.11 branches, and recognizing recent contributions from community members (such as thanking folks like Mick for the work he's done on CI). Patrick and I would be thrilled to help organize this and think such calls would help us work better together as contributors if the PMC values that as a contribution.

So I may be responsible for this controversy – but I am proud to be if so.

I apologize if we've gone about this improperly, but if so it's only because learning the proper way is terribly difficult - even when in regular conversation with many members of the PMC and including on this very topic. If the PMC would like to discuss privately how community members can be chartered to lead initiatives like discussions on scope and release management and/or periodic community calls, it looks like several in this thread would be eager to contribute.

I believe that each contributor on this thread means well, and think it's essential we work toward every goal that's been stated in this thread.

Cheers,

– Scott

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by "J. D. Jordan" <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick McFadin <pm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
If I gave the impression I was advocating for just plopping tickets on
people as assignees that was a significant miscommunication on my part.

My mental model is to go back to the Jirsa approach of a pulsed status
update with a list of open unassigned tickets and call for volunteers on
the dev list. Sorry if my phrasing earlier gave anyone an impression
otherwise.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
>  Isn’t this the point of project management; to avoid this issue?

Is the point of project management to avoid the problems caused by project management?  That feels like a Dilbert cartoon.

To be clear, I'm simply responding to the apparent suggestion that we assign every 4.0 ticket to somebody.  These tickets will be worked on when contributors have time, but assigning them makes it harder to self-organise their delivery.  As far as I can tell, this is creating a project management _dependency_, without solving any exigent problem.

Also to be clear, there is no role of "project manager" to step into, back or forwards.  We're all equals here, and we have to be careful to maintain the ability to self-organise our work.  Any help in this area should aim to  facilitate without developing a dependency on the service.

On 10/01/2020, 19:23, "David Capwell" <dc...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I also find that assigning tickets to people when they have no bandwidth to
    implement them is counterproductive.

    Isn’t this the point of project management; to avoid this issue?

    Lets say there are 10 blocking tickets for 4.0, and they are all on you; a
    PM could help by finding others who could help out and make sure that no
    one steps on each other.

    At the same time, PMs help give visibility into how much work is left and
    are previous time estimates off (we expect M2 done January, are we close?
    Do we need to punt things to M3? Do we need to load balance to make this
    date?, etc.).

    I don't think anything is currently languishing because nobody realises it
    needs to be done, but if you can get things magically moving faster, I will
    of course be thrilled! __

    So lets try and see what happens! =D

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
Just to be clear, I welcome Josh's help with project management.

Dinesh

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
My 2¢.

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jordan West <jo...@gmail.com>.
Extra time contributed to the project by an experienced community member in
either developer or project management areas would be very helpful in
completing 4.0. Thanks for volunteering Josh -- and +1 on thanking Scott
for his existing efforts (and Benedict and others who worked to improve the
JIRA workflow this release cycle). I agree that having folks driving
regular community check ins on progress (or working to keep progress up to
date), among other things, would be beneficial. One thing I'd love to see
again is a regular (every two weeks?) update on progress on the dev list
(similar to what Jeff Jirsa used to send around -- it also included a call
for reviews iirc).

Jordan

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
> I can only speak to my experience on this and other software projects, but I find a lot of things slip through the cracks by virtue of not having ownership for various points in their pipeline or stall based on people not realizing things are on their plate.

I also find that assigning tickets to people when they have no bandwidth to implement them is counterproductive.  I don't think anything is currently languishing because nobody realises it needs to be done, but if you can get things magically moving faster, I will of course be thrilled! __

> I also believe that what qualifies as scope for a release requires constant vigilance and healthy gentle skepticism from the devil's advocate position on minimizing scope to help counter-balance our tendencies as engineers to want to get things into releases

I tend to agree here, somewhat, but the project has repeatedly (and again recently at ApacheCon) endorsed the idea of 4.0 stability being key, significantly raising the bar to releasing it beyond any prior major release.  Any change to the 4.0 release timeline entails weakening that proposition.  So I don't think much is likely to change in that regard in the near future, and it's not really a matter of project management, but one of release policy.

The non-verification work outstanding for inclusion in 4.0 are mostly bugs, so I don't see much being cut there whatever we decide.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
> I think as long as we all believe we're all good faith actors, truly believe we all want what's best for the project (even if we don't necessarily all agree on what that is all the time), and internalize that nobody wants to see a monoculture on the project, we'll be fine.

I realised reading this I'd never really properly spelled out my underlying point.  The above has always held true for the community* and things have not always been fine.  All that matters is how our actions are interpreted and _not by each other_.  I'd prefer everyone internalised that.

* except maybe one truly master troll; we'll never know for sure

On 12/01/2020, 01:34, "Joshua McKenzie" <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

    Thanks Jeff - I have an initial rough draft of basically exactly what
    you've enumerated above from starting to formally ramp back up last week
    I'll tidy up and try to get out here Monday.

    And thanks everyone for the discussion. This is Hard Stuff; a huge part of
    the Apache Way (at least on our project ;) ) is Lazy Consensus
    <https://community.apache.org/committers/lazyConsensus.html> and a lot of
    "ask for forgiveness, not permission", and it can be really hard to
    navigate that and can also deform cultures in the case of uneven
    cross-vendor resourcing. I think as long as we all believe we're all good

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.