Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/11/25 14:05:25 UTC

Clarification of Mentors from Proposal Guide

All,

I was wondering if someone could help me clarify this block of text.  This
is the section I believe is at an issue:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-mentors

*It is common for additional Mentors to volunteer their services during the
development of the proposal. The number of Mentors for a Podling is limited
only by the energy and interest of those eligible to Mentor. Three Mentors
gives a quorum and allows a Podling more autonomy. The current consensus is
that three or more Mentors makes the incubation process run more smoothly.*

*Note that since Mentors are appointed by the Incubator PMC at the end of
the acceptance process, they have no formal role until the proposal is
accepted. But informal enthusiasm from nominee Mentors is taken as a good
sign.*

In the first paragraph, we're saying that Mentors volunteer.  But the
second paragraph states that they are appointed by the IPMC.  I'm inclined
to just remove that first sentence from the proposal guide.  Anyone else's
thoughts?

John

Re: Clarification of Mentors from Proposal Guide

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 26 nov. 2016 23:40, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> a écrit :

> I blended Bertrand's improved form with the remaining information from
that
> section and got this...

+1 to your proposed text.
-Bertrand

Re: Clarification of Mentors from Proposal Guide

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I blended Bertrand's improved form with the remaining information from that
section and got this:

Lists eligible (and willing) individuals nominated as Mentors [definition]
for the candidate.

Three Mentors gives a quorum and allows a Podling more autonomy from the
Incubator PMC, so the current consensus is that three Mentors is a good
number. Any experienced Apache community member can provide informal
mentorship anyway, what's important is to make sure the podling has enough
regularly available mentors to progress smoothly. There is no restriction
on the number of mentors, formal or informal, a Podling may have.

"Three Mentors" is a link to participation.html#mentors
"Incubator PMC" is a link
to incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Incubator+Project+Management+Committee+%28PMC%29

WDYT?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 7:16 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 3:05 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...*Note that since Mentors are appointed by the Incubator PMC at the
> end of
> > the acceptance process, they have no formal role until the proposal is
> > accepted....
>
> I don't think this is really useful, it seems to just cover edge cases
> that we might as well explain on list if they happen.
>
> I suggest replacing both paragraphs that you list by this, or a
> refined variant of it:
>
> "Three Mentors gives a quorum and allows a Podling more autonomy, so the
> current
> consensus is that three Mentors is a good number. Any experienced
> Apache community
> member can provide informal mentorship anyway, what's important is to make
> sure
> the podling has enough regularly available mentors to progress smoothly."

And frankly, nobody really has a formal role until the proposal is
accepted. That is the point of acceptance ... it is the beginning of
formality. Before then, there are really no rules (from Apache).

Re: Clarification of Mentors from Proposal Guide

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Right, to be 100% clear, the part that I'm saying should be removed is more
around the "appointment" side not the role during proposal.  Though I will
say with the right mentors on board, seeing activity during the proposal
process is not uncommon and usually a good thing.

I actually missed the comma there thinking it was a period. ;-)

John

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.