Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Karen Goh <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/11/01 04:55:25 UTC

Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app

 Subject: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype web app
 To: "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>, karenworld@yahoo.com
 Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 8:31 PM

 https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html

Hi Jieryn,

Just to clarify, so I have to place the WebContent folder which contents all my bootstrap css etc under the resources ?

I am confused cos the title is how to WAR plug in where is my question is more on the Maven structure directory usage for 3rd party bootstrap template.

 On
 Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:37 AM Karen Goh <ka...@yahoo.com.invalid>
 wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > I have been
 struggling for 2 days where to put my bootstrap template
 that comes with pre-build template which includes css, fonts
 etc. inside my maven web project without success.

 > The problem - jsp is
 not rendering the bootstrap layout.  It was rendering ok
 before I changed the project structure which meets the Maven
 project standard structure.

 > This is a 3rd party bootstrap template.
 >
 > After reading up the
 maven project structure, I have tried to put it under
 src/main/resources, tried under src, tried moving around all
 parts of the directory but to no avail....

 > I also used the below
 structure to move my WebContent which included this template
 but it is still not working

 :

 > https://ibb.co/fesnGV
 >
 > https://ibb.co/m7GQ3A

 Here's where my bootstrap ended now (still not working)
 - where I put the jsp files and WebContent separately.

 > https://ibb.co/fKArbV
 >
 > Please tell me where
 should I put the bootstrap template.

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 5:55 AM Karen Goh <ka...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> On Tue, 10/30/18, jieryn <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Subject: Re: Need advice to put my bootstrap template in Maven archetype
> web app
>  To: "Maven Users List" <us...@maven.apache.org>, karenworld@yahoo.com
>  Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 8:31 PM
>
>  https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html
>
> Hi Jieryn,
>
> Just to clarify, so I have to place the WebContent folder which contents
> all my bootstrap css etc under the resources ?
>
> I am confused cos the title is how to WAR plug in where is my question is
> more on the Maven structure directory usage for 3rd party bootstrap
> template.

In Maven, everything is done by plugins, even the "standard" things.
Besides the things that are part of the Project Object Model (sources,
resources, output directory, test sources, test resources, test output
directory), the "standard layout" for Maven projects are actually simply
the default configurations for those plugins.
If you want to build a WAR file for a web app, you'll use
<packaging>war</packaging> in your POM, which will trigger the plugin
bindings for war packaging (
https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.0/maven-core/default-bindings.html#Plugin_bindings_for_war_packaging).
The maven-war-plugin is responsible for packaging the WAR file, and by
default will take the "web resources" from src/main/webapp.
In you case, you could either reconfigure the maven-war-plugin to use
WebContent as the warSourceDirectory, or move the content of you WebContent
folder into src/main/webapp (so you will have, for example, a
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml file instead of WebContent/WEB-INF/web.xml)

See also
https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Posted by jieryn <ji...@gmail.com>.
You said you wanted to create a maven web project. Forgive me, I
interpret that to mean a web application.

I'm not familiar with any official or unofficial way to create a 3rd
party bootstrap project. I presume you mean http://getbootstrap.com/
Bootstrap. Finally, your use of Maven archetype in the original
subject may be confusing other folks that want to assist, because that
term means you are creating a Maven Archetype which can be used to
materialize example projects. This doesn't seem unfit with your
suggestion about creating a bootstrap template, either.

So really it's quite confusing what you're asking, perhaps you can try again.