Posted to bcel-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Elmar Juergens <ju...@in.tum.de> on 2007/01/22 21:48:04 UTC

Note on Annotation implementation in BCEL trunk

Hi,

I am using BCEL for program analysis on Java Bytecode. It works like a
charm!
Thanks a lot for the great work and the amount of effort you invested.

I need BCEL to analyze Java 1.5 annotations. I figured from the mailing
list that the version in the trunk supports that.
And indeed, for me it works great: The code compiled and behaved pretty
much like I had hoped it would!
Thanks again for the great work.

However, from my point of use, a slight reorganization of the class
hierarchy would simplify the retrieval of annotations:
I need to analyze Classes, Methods and Fields. Since they have the
common base class AccessFlags, I could implement several analyses in a
rather generic way, which I liked very much. However, annotation
retrieval is not implemented on the level of AccessFlags, but only in
the deriving classes themselves.
As far as I understand it, method getAnnotationEntries()  is implemented
in all classes deriving from AccessFlags.
Could this method be pulled up? (It would require a unification of
AnnotationEntry and AnnotationEntryGen into a hierarchy. Would this be
possible?)

I believe that this reorganization might simplify matters for many
annotation-accessing tasks using BCEL.

Thanks a lot,
Best regards from Munich, Germany,
Elmar Juergens