Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/10/02 16:01:18 UTC

Need Apache Member/Officer to submit list creation request (Was: [PROPOSAL] Reinvigorate extension authors community)

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-10-01, at 08:49 , Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> 5 days have passed and no objections were raised, so I'll start moving
>> this forward.

No luck with a JIRA issue asking Infra to create the new mailing list.
 Evidently they are moving to a new request system that uses a form
that only Apache Members and Officers can access.  So until we
graduate we need to filter mailing list creation requests through a
Mentor or someone else with permissions.

Details for the list request are here, if anyone is able to help:

-Rob

Re: Need Apache Member/Officer to submit list creation request (Was: [PROPOSAL] Reinvigorate extension authors community)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 02/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> Certainly ooo-api@incubator.apache.org is fine with me if that's what
> we all want now.  But I don't know if it is too late.

List names will have to be revised when we graduate anyway, so at that
time we might be able to change it to whatever we agree upon.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> It would have been nice to have known this preference much earlier.
> Certainly ooo-api@incubator.apache.org is fine with me if that's what
> we all want now.

Yeah!

> But I don't know if it is too late.  I have zero
> visibility into the process at this point.

I think the staff infra can do so. How not yet created the list.

Albino

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wanted to be compressive of user/developers working with macros,
>>> scripts and extensions.  "Application Development" (AppDev) includes
>>> all of them.
>>
>> Yes, it makes sense, but the abbreviation in itself is not meaningful,
>> IMHO, and reminds of http://www.appdev.com/ and other commercial stuff,
>> while api@ sounds more neutral; and OpenOffice.org API users/extension
>> developers are used to it (in order to get an idea of the activity on
>> this area, in OpenOffice.org days, you have to browse api@ mailing list,
>> most of the traffic was there, not in extensions@). So, for the average
>> OpenOffice.org extension/application developer, api@s already makes
>> sense. Besides, an api@ list sound like the proper place to discuss API
>> design and changes (like the ones that should be done in AOO 4.0).
>>
>> Just a question of taste, I could live with appdev :)
>
> me too, but I agree to Ariel and I would have preferred
> api@incubator.openoffice.apache.org as well for the same reasons.

It would have been nice to have known this preference much earlier.
Certainly ooo-api@incubator.apache.org is fine with me if that's what
we all want now.  But I don't know if it is too late.  I have zero

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

> >> The form told me that ooo-appdev@incubator.apache.org already exists.
> >
> > Was this the final name of the list? A better one could have been
> > extensions@ or better api@ (yes, I know it's late, but I've been busy).
> >

> I wanted to be compressive of user/developers working with macros,
> scripts and extensions.  "Application Development" (AppDev) includes
> all of them.

Yes, it makes sense, but the abbreviation in itself is not meaningful,
IMHO, and reminds of http://www.appdev.com/ and other commercial stuff,
while api@ sounds more neutral; and OpenOffice.org API users/extension
developers are used to it (in order to get an idea of the activity on
this area, in OpenOffice.org days, you have to browse api@ mailing list,
most of the traffic was there, not in extensions@). So, for the average
OpenOffice.org extension/application developer, api@s already makes
sense. Besides, an api@ list sound like the proper place to discuss API
design and changes (like the ones that should be done in AOO 4.0).

Just a question of taste, I could live with appdev :)

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Someone else beat me to it.
>>
>> Actually they didn't, as of right now there is no request in the queue
>>
>> (private@incubator will be emailed a notification once the request is made)
>
> The form told me that ooo-appdev@incubator.apache.org already exists.

When I try to subscribe I get this error:

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

<oo...@incubator.apache.org>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)"

So I don't think it actually exists.  Or at least it doesn't think it exists ;-)

Could you try again, but with the name ooo-api@incubator.apache.org?
That seems to be the preferred name.

Thanks!

-Rob

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote on Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 15:51:04 +0100:

> >> Someone else beat me to it.
> >
> > Actually they didn't, as of right now there is no request in the queue
> >
> > (private@incubator will be emailed a notification once the request is made)
>
> There is no option on the form for requesting @incubator.apache.org
> lists. Is this an oversight or me being dumb?

Click the link at the very bottom.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> I just tried subscribing to ooo-api@i.a.o and it said I was already
> subscribed.  So it looks like the list was created.  But I expected
> some notification.

+1

Albino

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Oct 8, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I thought the same thing at first.  At the bottom of that form there
>>> is a link to another specialized for for podling list requests.  Some
>>> extra structure to support the naming conventions:
>>>
>>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq/incubator
>>>
>>> We want ooo-api@i.a.o
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> I submitted this yesterday and it did all of its subversion stuff, but still no list.
>>
>> I was waiting for a message, but I see nothing in private @ i.a.o and nothing in ooo-private?
>>

> Did anyone ever get a notification on this?

Yes.

> I just tried subscribing to ooo-api@i.a.o and it said I was already
> subscribed.  So it looks like the list was created.  But I expected
> some notification.

That would come from the TLP. I saw the email yesterday midday shortly after it occurred. Sorry I did not respond to this thread until now. I have been extremely busy and traveled across the continent on Friday and back yesterday. On top of that work release today. And back in the air tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

<snip>

> Did anyone ever get a notification on this?
>
> I just tried subscribing to ooo-api@i.a.o and it said I was already subscribed.
> So it looks like the list was created.  But I expected some notification.

You were added as an initial moderator, initial moderators are automatically
subscribed by default.

Gav...

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/9 Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 12:17:31PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Did anyone ever get a notification on this?
> >
> > I just tried subscribing to ooo-api@i.a.o and it said I was already
> > subscribed.  So it looks like the list was created.  But I expected
> > some notification.
>
> It would be nice if someone could post a notification on the user forum,
> there is a macro and programming section there, AFAIK.

Done for the ES and IT forums. Rob already did it for the EN forum.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org> wrote:
> It would be nice if someone could post a notification on the user forum,
> there is a macro and programming section there, AFAIK.

You can add in forum. (:

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> I was planning on getting the word out on the new list.  I can include
> the forums, ooo-dev, ooo-users.  Also, I was going to work with
> Roberto to see if we can send a note out to the existing extension
> authors via SourceForge.
>
> On the website I'll add to:

Yes. You can add.

I still didn't change in the cvs, I can try.

> Any place else?   Maybe update this page:
> http://www.openoffice.org/api/ ??  (It looks like it needs many
> updates.  Perhaps something we can discuss on the new mailing list!)

We are to take a look.

Albino

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > Rob Weir schrieb:

> forum,
> >>>

> >> I was planning on getting the word out on the new list.  I can include
> >> the forums, ooo-dev, ooo-users.  Also, I was going to work with
> >> Roberto to see if we can send a note out to the existing extension
> >> authors via SourceForge.

Sure, just let me know what should we tell them.

Roberto

--
====

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Rob Weir schrieb:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> <ar...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> It would be nice if someone could post a notification on the user forum,
>>> there is a macro and programming section there, AFAIK.
>>>

>> I was planning on getting the word out on the new list.  I can include
>> the forums, ooo-dev, ooo-users.  Also, I was going to work with
>> Roberto to see if we can send a note out to the existing extension
>> authors via SourceForge.
>

> Please include ooo-announce too.
>

>> On the website I'll add to:

Done.