Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by iyangim <iy...@empal.com> on 2006/07/21 08:51:28 UTC

Converting Batik to DLL

Dear All,

Currently I am developing the SVG related stuffs. I am using the Batik
Library for managing SVG. I used JDK 1.5 for my testing and it worked fine.
Now I want to use Visual Studio J# for the same development. I have
following questions

Question 1.
Anybody know any tool or any idea for converting Batik library source to
DLL?
I already tried to use JLCA (Microsoft Java Language Conversion Assistant)
but it did not work.

Question 2.
When I tried to compile the batik library in VS J#, it gives error for some
of JDK API.
The reason is that J# support JDK 1.1.5 Version and Batik need JDK 1.3 or
later.  Is there any way that I can update the JDK in Visual Studio J#?

Your kind help will be appreciated.

Re: Converting Batik to DLL

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Forget the Microsoft tools. They just won't work. If you want to J# to
be compatible with JDK 1.3 you'll have to talk to Microsoft.

The only viable option I see is IKVM (http://www.ikvm.net). That could
give you a .NET compatible DLL of Batik. But there's one big problem:
AWT/Java2D support in IKVM is minimal. However, I heard that GNU
Classpath (used by IKVM) recently added a pure-Java AWT implementation
which could actually help IKVM. Not sure on the status there. And if
.NET is not an option, you're probably out of luck anyway.

The other option depending on your use case is to deploy Batik as a
WebService in a normal JVM and access that from your Win32 application.

If that's also not an option you'll have to look for another SVG library
like http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/

On 21.07.2006 08:51:28 iyangim wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Currently I am developing the SVG related stuffs. I am using the Batik
> Library for managing SVG. I used JDK 1.5 for my testing and it worked fine.
> Now I want to use Visual Studio J# for the same development. I have
> following questions
>
> Question 1.
> Anybody know any tool or any idea for converting Batik library source to
> DLL?
> I already tried to use JLCA (Microsoft Java Language Conversion Assistant)
> but it did not work.
>
> Question 2.
> When I tried to compile the batik library in VS J#, it gives error for some
> of JDK API.
> The reason is that J# support JDK 1.1.5 Version and Batik need JDK 1.3 or
> later.  Is there any way that I can update the JDK in Visual Studio J#?
>
> Your kind help will be appreciated.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: Converting Batik to DLL

Posted by "Resler, John M" <jo...@boeing.com>.
J# is pretty much Java 1.1 and as Batik is for the most part Java 1.4
you'll probably have to do a lot of converting of the code to get
somewhere with it. As for making a DLL out of it, Adobe already has an
SVG ActiveX control for web browsers, ever consider calling that control
from an application?

John Michael Resler
The Boeing Company,
Boeing Wichita Integrated Defense Systems
(316) 977-0442
John.M.Resler@Boeing.com
M/S K82-71
Hammer the Americans hard enough...