Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Yann Duponchel <yd...@zurich.ibm.com> on 2003/02/06 13:30:27 UTC

Documentation

Hello,
I would like to use Tomcat as a Servlet container for non HttpServlets.
I don't see any problem in doing so but I would like to write a
specialized Manager, specialized Containers, specialized Connectors and
maybe other custom components (Valves).  I have been through all the
documentation I could find:
- proposal.html
- catalina-analysis3_raster.gif
- catalina-analysis1_raster.gif
- catalina-analysis2_raster.gif
but I was wondering if there is a more detailed and up-to-date
documentation. In particular, the "proposal" and Javadoc mention that
configuration is done using a "configure" method, but looking at the
source, it seems to indicate that Digesters are used for this purpose
and the sequence of initialzation defined in the various Rules is rather
obscur.

So I would be glad if someone could point me to some additional
documentation, in particular concerning the details of the Tomcat
architecture (relations between components, functions, implementation,
invokation sequence, when and how is invoked the SessionManager, ...).

Thank you,

Yann.

Re: Documentation

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Yann Duponchel wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to use Tomcat as a Servlet container for non HttpServlets.
> I don't see any problem in doing so but I would like to write a
> specialized Manager, specialized Containers, specialized Connectors and
> maybe other custom components (Valves).  I have been through all the
> documentation I could find:
> - proposal.html
> - catalina-analysis3_raster.gif
> - catalina-analysis1_raster.gif
> - catalina-analysis2_raster.gif
> but I was wondering if there is a more detailed and up-to-date
> documentation. In particular, the "proposal" and Javadoc mention that
> configuration is done using a "configure" method, but looking at the
> source, it seems to indicate that Digesters are used for this purpose
> and the sequence of initialzation defined in the various Rules is rather
> obscur.
>
> So I would be glad if someone could point me to some additional
> documentation, in particular concerning the details of the Tomcat
> architecture (relations between components, functions, implementation,
> invokation sequence, when and how is invoked the SessionManager, ...).

I'm afraid there's only the the documentation bundle distributed with
Tomcat. In particular, the event system is only documented in the
javadocs (I recommend browsing the org.apache.catalina package).

Hopefully, that will be enough to get you started ...

Remy