Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/09 13:12:11 UTC

[exec] Update from Java 5 to 6

Hi All,

I'd like to update Commons Exec from Java 5 to 6 to get it to build on Java
11.

Gary

Re: [exec] Update from Java 5 to 6

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:31 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 07:51, Luis Panadero Guardeño
> <lu...@digibis.com> wrote:
> >

> > El 10/10/19 a las 12:50, sebb escribió:
> > > Please explain what you mean.
> > >
> > > Are you saying that code compiled with Java 5 will not run on Java 12+
> ?
> > > Is not, why not?
> >
> > Have you try to use JAI on OpenJDK 8 or Java 11/12/13 ?
> >
> > You will find that reading/writing images fails, because it's using some
> > Sun internal APIs that only works on Sun/Oracle Java 6, 7 and 8. I need
> > to change some old code using JAI, to read/write image using directly
> > ImageIO to avoid this problem.
>
> I don't see how that is relevant to Commons Exec.
>
> If code uses unofficial APIs then there's bound to be a problem at some
> point.

+1, "Sun internal" -> All bets are off.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luis Panadero Guardeño <lu...@digibis.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 08:53, John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> what about people wanting to use it on java 12 or java 13.

Please explain what you mean.

Are you saying that code compiled with Java 5 will not run on Java 12+ ?
Is not, why not?

> if java 1.5 and not wanting to upgrade is the argument, why would they be upgrading the software...

It's very different upgrading a single component as opposed to
upgrading the JVM which runs multiple components.
Much easier to test and revert.

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luis Panadero Guardeño <lu...@digibis.com>.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
+1 for java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 16:25, John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about Java 5 to 8.
> I'm current sat at Jax London and was the sole person who put their
> hand up for Java 6, and next Conference I hope to have migrated
> everything to at least Java 8. From the rest I saw 1 hand being raised
> for Java 7, about 2/3rd's said Java 8 and 1/3rd said Java 11, with a
> handful saying Java 12 or 13.

What was the exact question?

Java is upward compatible, so the binary for Exec compiled on Java 5
will work on Java 6,7, etc.
Indeed the source will probably compile without any need for changes
on the same platforms.

However, there does come a time when it becomes difficult to get hold
of the earlier compilers.

At which point it may be necessary to update the minimum compiler
version in the Maven POM.

In many cases, that should be sufficient; no need to update the source as well.

Let's do the minimum work needed here, and exclude as Java versions as possible.

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
+1

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.
What about Java 5 to 8.