Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Rafael Santos <rs...@spectacompany.com.br> on 2012/03/01 17:34:21 UTC

[OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

What do think about integrating FlexCover in the Apache Flex code base?
http://code.google.com/p/flexcover/

FlexCover is a great tool for test coverage, but as for today we need to
change Flex source and recompile to make it work.
Regarding Enterprise systems it is a powerful tool.

Rafael Santos - Specta
@rafaelspecta

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Rafael Santos <rs...@spectacompany.com.br>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 14:22, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/12 8:55 AM, "Antonio Hernández de la Rosa" <in...@knstudios.es>
> wrote:
>
> It is pretty clear to me that we can't just choose to integrate other code
> into the Apache Flex project.
>
> In general, code is "owned" by some entity and has to be donated by that
> entity.  We can't just copy code from any other open-source entity into
> Apache Flex.

Alex, I will check with them the possibility of donation.... I will give a
feedback on that soon....

I also totally agree that It can not be part of the release....

I gave the idea cause I see no other way to make that kind of funcionallity
works.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>Mike, let me know if there's anything in particular that I should rework in the port or investigate to alleviate the licensing issues.  I'm available to work on this as needed.

Jason,

Will do. Was going to write you back today, looking into all of the licensing for other clients too so I should have some more info on what needs to change.

Mike

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Jason Gardner <ja...@gmail.com>.
> There is already a port to make it work outside of mojos. Licensing is a
little dicey but trying to work on this. Again though, it is basically a
line coverage metric.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
If anyone is interested, here is a good overview of the types of coverage:

http://www.bullseye.com/coverage.html

RE: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by "Skogen, Espen" <es...@jpmorgan.com>.
Have anybody looked at the code coverage provided in Flexmojos 4? Seems to work fine. Maybe that can be ported to work outside of Maven?

My understanding is that it's using Apparat to inspect the bytecode. Shouldn't be too hard to use that as a standalone tool.

E:)

Espen Skogen | Vice President | IB Tech Market | Investment Bank | J.P. Morgan | 125 London Wall, EC2Y 5AJ,  London, United Kingdom | T: +442077420836 | espen.skogen@jpmorgan.com | jpmorgan.com

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Rafael Santos <rs...@spectacompany.com.br>.
Count me in as well...

At this stage tell us if we can be of any use....

I will thank the guys from FlexCover and tell them we are going in a
different direction...

Rafael Santos - SpectaTI
@rafaelspecta

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think there is.

Great. Then count me in on that.

Do you have an existing URL or something we can look at?

Thanks,
Justin

RE: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>While Flex Cover may not be the best tool it certainly better than having no coverage tool at all. I still use it on occasion and would be interested in putting some work into it, unless there's a better option that's at >the same stage of development.

Justin,

I think there is.

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/7/12 5:43 PM, "Rafael Santos" <rs...@spectacompany.com.br> wrote:

> that Adobe has a simple code coverage tool that we could work on, right?
>
> Do we have that code?
No, that code has not been donated to Apache yet.

---
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Rafael Santos <rs...@spectacompany.com.br>.
I think I stayed away too long and lost track of the discussion....

I can see that many agree that using Flex Cover is not the best option,
right?

In which direction are we heading now? As I could catch up so far it seems

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Petr Svoboda <wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...how about formalizing the process of "from submission to code
> base"? I mean there could be some sort of separate "entry-pile", where you
> could submit any type of component that would be considered safe from legal
> perspective. From there - three ways of progress would be feasible...

We discussed a while ago creating a contrib folder for such things
under http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/trunk/, see the
archives at http://flex-dev.markmail.org/ for "contrib". I think that
would work for that.

-Bertrand

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Petr Svoboda <wo...@gmail.com>.

> Uhm, wait. I thought Apache wasn't interested in abandoned code dumps.
> There are no developers behind this, there are no updates and the author is
> saying he is not interesting in maintaining it. I like Joe and Alex, they
> have done a lot for us, but is this really the direction we want to go?

well .. how about formalizing the process of "from submission to code
base"? I mean there could be some sort of separate "entry-pile", where you
could submit any type of component that would be considered safe from legal
perspective. From there - three ways of progress would be feasible -

1) someone will catch-on, and start maintaining (trackable)
2) someone will fork, modify original sources while sticking to the
original idea + start maintaining (again trackable)
3) no-one will do any of above, and component moves to "trash" after
certain period (again trackable)

this way, a lot of "fresh" - potentially incoming stuff wouldn't be burned
by difficult entry process and only beasts with high-survival value would
make it into actual code base.

Your thoughts?

RE: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>I do not have the time to work on Flexcover any more and so I would not expect to be able to continue contributing after the project is donated, but perhaps someone else could keep it alive.

Uhm, wait. I thought Apache wasn't interested in abandoned code dumps. There are no developers behind this, there are no updates and the author is saying he is not interesting in maintaining it. I like Joe and Alex, they have done a lot for us, but is this really the direction we want to go?

> although I think that you could probably develop better coverage tools if Apache started over again from scratch

I also agree on this point, and, if you want directed work on the approach we can discuss.

Mike

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Rafael Santos
<rs...@spectacompany.com.br> wrote:
> How the donation process works? What are the steps?

See http://markmail.org/message/zt4osachrsgjh6ix

-Bertrand

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
It would take work on his part to ensure he has the legal right to donate
all of the code (no third party works in his code) and fill out the required
forms.

It might be better if we leverage the Adobe code coverage tool.

-Alex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [OT] FlexCover on Apache Flex base

Posted by Rafael Santos <rs...@spectacompany.com.br>.

Posted by Rafael Santos <rs...@spectacompany.com.br>.
Guys,

Posted by Abdul Sattar <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Petr Svoboda <wo...@gmail.com>.
well  - as FlexSDK is mostly "component kit", it would be IMHO beneficial,
to have some optional packages, that could host these "extra" kind of
components. (like data visualization is separate)

Your ideas, comments?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Antonio Hernández de la Rosa <in...@knstudios.es>.

Posted by andrei apostolache <ap...@gmail.com>.