Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/10 22:39:45 UTC

Hadoop Metrics Issue in ganglia.

Hi All,

I'm facing an issue while showing Hadoop metrics in ganglia, Though I
have installed ganglia on my master/slaves nodes and I'm able to see
all the default metrics on ganglia UI from all the nodes but I'm not
able to see Hadoop metrics in metrics section.

versions:-
Hadoop 1.1.1
ganglia  3.0.7

hadoop-metrics2.properties -----

dfs.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
dfs.period=10
dfs.servers=master:8649
mapred.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics.ganglia.GangliaContext31
mapred.period=10
mapred.servers=master:8649

please guide.

Thanks

Re: Hadoop Metrics Issue in ganglia.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Yusaku,
You are absolutely right.
This is the only correct format for /etc/hosts:
x.x.x.x     Full_Name    short_name(alias)

Any other forms of it is incorrect and may lead to unpredictable results.

Leonid

*Thank you!*

**

*Sincerely,*

*Leonid Fedotov*

Systems Architect - Professional Services

lfedotov@hortonworks.com

office: +1 855 846 7866 ext 292

mobile: +1 650 430 1673

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop Metrics Issue in ganglia.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Yusaku,
You are absolutely right.
This is the only correct format for /etc/hosts:
x.x.x.x     Full_Name    short_name(alias)

Any other forms of it is incorrect and may lead to unpredictable results.

Leonid

*Thank you!*

**

*Sincerely,*

*Leonid Fedotov*

Systems Architect - Professional Services

lfedotov@hortonworks.com

office: +1 855 846 7866 ext 292

mobile: +1 650 430 1673

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> I've had similar issues in the past and what I had to do was to list out
> the FQDNs first before the shortnames in /etc/hosts.  Like so:
>
> 192.168.126.129 master.bigmix.com master loghost
> 192.168.126.130 clone1.bigmix.com clone1
> 192.168.126.133 clone2.bigmix.com clone2
>
> Yusaku
>

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM, orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> @Chris - I haven't tried this on ganglia forums because I thought this
>> is something related to Hadoop. Though I'm able to see default metrics
>> from every nodes.
>>
>> @Artem
>> I'm not using any firewall, In addition my host entry looks like below.
>>
>> 192.168.126.129 master master.bigmix.com loghost
>> 192.168.126.130 clone1 clone1.bigmix.com
>> 192.168.126.133 clone2 clone2.bigmix.com
>>
>> I'm also able to lookup these machines through dns ( nslookup, host).
>>
>> Did I missed something?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On 9/12/13, Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> wrote:
>> > Check firewall and /etc/hosts also make sure hosts lines up with result
>> of
>> > hostname -f command. Both hostname -f and hosts entries should have fqdn
>> > names. I use ambari to install my cluster, including ganglia metrics
>> and I
>> > had identical issue. Once I corrected that it started working.
>> >

>> > Artem Ervits
>> > Data Analyst
>> > New York Presbyterian Hospital

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop Metrics Issue in ganglia.

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yusaku,

I tried your suggestion, but it still not working.

Please guide me.

Thanks

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Yusaku,
You are absolutely right.
This is the only correct format for /etc/hosts:
x.x.x.x     Full_Name    short_name(alias)

Any other forms of it is incorrect and may lead to unpredictable results.

Leonid

*Thank you!*

**

*Sincerely,*

*Leonid Fedotov*

Systems Architect - Professional Services

lfedotov@hortonworks.com

office: +1 855 846 7866 ext 292

mobile: +1 650 430 1673

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> I've had similar issues in the past and what I had to do was to list out
> the FQDNs first before the shortnames in /etc/hosts.  Like so:
>
> 192.168.126.129 master.bigmix.com master loghost
> 192.168.126.130 clone1.bigmix.com clone1
> 192.168.126.133 clone2.bigmix.com clone2
>
> Yusaku
>

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM, orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> @Chris - I haven't tried this on ganglia forums because I thought this
>> is something related to Hadoop. Though I'm able to see default metrics
>> from every nodes.
>>
>> @Artem
>> I'm not using any firewall, In addition my host entry looks like below.
>>
>> 192.168.126.129 master master.bigmix.com loghost
>> 192.168.126.130 clone1 clone1.bigmix.com
>> 192.168.126.133 clone2 clone2.bigmix.com
>>
>> I'm also able to lookup these machines through dns ( nslookup, host).
>>
>> Did I missed something?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On 9/12/13, Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> wrote:
>> > Check firewall and /etc/hosts also make sure hosts lines up with result
>> of
>> > hostname -f command. Both hostname -f and hosts entries should have fqdn
>> > names. I use ambari to install my cluster, including ganglia metrics
>> and I
>> > had identical issue. Once I corrected that it started working.
>> >

>> > Artem Ervits
>> > Data Analyst
>> > New York Presbyterian Hospital

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop Metrics Issue in ganglia.

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yusaku,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yusaku,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yusaku,

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
Yusaku,
You are absolutely right.
This is the only correct format for /etc/hosts:
x.x.x.x     Full_Name    short_name(alias)

Any other forms of it is incorrect and may lead to unpredictable results.

Leonid

*Thank you!*

**

*Sincerely,*

*Leonid Fedotov*

Systems Architect - Professional Services

lfedotov@hortonworks.com

office: +1 855 846 7866 ext 292

mobile: +1 650 430 1673

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> I've had similar issues in the past and what I had to do was to list out
> the FQDNs first before the shortnames in /etc/hosts.  Like so:
>
> 192.168.126.129 master.bigmix.com master loghost
> 192.168.126.130 clone1.bigmix.com clone1
> 192.168.126.133 clone2.bigmix.com clone2
>
> Yusaku
>

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM, orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> @Chris - I haven't tried this on ganglia forums because I thought this
>> is something related to Hadoop. Though I'm able to see default metrics
>> from every nodes.
>>
>> @Artem
>> I'm not using any firewall, In addition my host entry looks like below.
>>
>> 192.168.126.129 master master.bigmix.com loghost
>> 192.168.126.130 clone1 clone1.bigmix.com
>> 192.168.126.133 clone2 clone2.bigmix.com
>>
>> I'm also able to lookup these machines through dns ( nslookup, host).
>>
>> Did I missed something?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On 9/12/13, Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> wrote:
>> > Check firewall and /etc/hosts also make sure hosts lines up with result
>> of
>> > hostname -f command. Both hostname -f and hosts entries should have fqdn
>> > names. I use ambari to install my cluster, including ganglia metrics
>> and I
>> > had identical issue. Once I corrected that it started working.
>> >

>> > Artem Ervits
>> > Data Analyst
>> > New York Presbyterian Hospital

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE