Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/25 18:51:37 UTC

Re: Sponsorship of maintenance work on Cordova?

Thanks Julio. I just tried the link and was told to join a waitlist:(

Similar results from Tidelift at this time:

   - https://tidelift.com/lifter/search/npm/cordova-android
   - https://tidelift.com/lifter/search/npm/cordova-ios
   - https://tidelift.com/lifter/search/npm/cordova-cli
   - https://tidelift.com/lifter/search/npm/cordova-lib
   - https://tidelift.com/lifter/search/npm/cordova-common

I think this kind of sponsorship is pretty badly needed in order to keep up
with competitive frameworks such as Capacitor and React Native which *do*
seem to have strong corporate backing and other advantages such as:

   - no need to wait for a non-standard "device ready" event
   - easy-to-understand MIT licensing terms

I do think that Apache Cordova continues to have some major advantages to
offer including:

   - Cordova seems to have *much less* JavaScript and native code per
   platform than Capacitor and React Native
   - Cordova has an extremely strong user community and would be in a very
   strong position to drive standardization of plugin APIs, in a similar
   fashion to the way that Node.js drives its N-API that works across itself
   and Electron

Given these advantages, I would really hate to see Cordova die out due to a
lack of resources so badly needed.

Without sponsorship, I am in a position to contributed *very limited time* to
help with the backlog.

If sponsored, I may not be the most "affordable", but I do think my years
of experience could provide some excellent value for the entire user
community.

Thanks and best regards,

Chris Brody

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisbrody/

https://chrisbrody.com/

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.
Adding 2 more things that I think could use some sponsorship:

* someone to provide improved responsiveness for issues, pending
bugifxes, and unreleased bugfixes via GitHub, mailing list, and Slack
* improve the documentation ** p l e a s e **

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.