Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> on 2001/10/04 06:34:33 UTC

To start

Ok,

    So, since we've already decided to rid ourselves of the hputs command,
what else in tcl_commands.c can we get rid of?  The commands are as follows:

Rivet_MakeURL
Rivet_Parse
Rivet_Include
Rivet_bufferAdd
Rivet_Hputs
Rivet_Headers
Rivet_Buffered
Rivet_HFlush
Rivet_HGetVars
Rivet_Var
Rivet_Upload
Rivet_Info
Rivet_noBody

    Now, it looks to me like if we remove hputs, we can also get rid of
bufferAdd, buffered and hflush, but since I'm not familiar with mod_dtcl's
commands, I don't really know what they do.  So, can we or can we not
rid ourselves of these commands as well?

Damon

Re: To start

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

> > > Rivet_MakeURL
> > > Rivet_Parse
> > > Rivet_Include
> > > Rivet_bufferAdd
> > > Rivet_Hputs
> > > Rivet_Headers
> >
> > This one should be reworked.  I don't like the way it looks kind of
> > ad-hoc and disorganized.
>
>     Which one?

Rivet_Headers

> > > Rivet_Buffered
> > > Rivet_HFlush
> > > Rivet_HGetVars
> >
> > This needs to be done better as well, I think...
>
>     Again, which one?  Are we talking about one specific command or the
> set?

Rivet_HGetVars

>     We'll prolly get rid of most of it.  I'm just trying to better
> understand what it's used for.  So, of all the ones listed, what do YOU
> think we should get rid of and what exactly needs some re-working?

Well, the input/output stuff needs to be redone to use only puts, if
at all possible (and I think it is), so any input output stuff
(bufferadd, flush, puts) has to go.  Parse and Include are needed.
Headers are needed, of course, but should be done cleaner.  MakeURL I
just tacked on recently, I don't know if it's a good thing or not.
GetVars could probably be reworeked a bit, too.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: To start

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.
> > Rivet_MakeURL
> > Rivet_Parse
> > Rivet_Include
> > Rivet_bufferAdd
> > Rivet_Hputs
> > Rivet_Headers
>
> This one should be reworked.  I don't like the way it looks kind of
> ad-hoc and disorganized.

    Which one?

Re: To start

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

>     So, since we've already decided to rid ourselves of the hputs command,
> what else in tcl_commands.c can we get rid of?  The commands are as follows:
>
> Rivet_MakeURL
> Rivet_Parse
> Rivet_Include
> Rivet_bufferAdd
> Rivet_Hputs
> Rivet_Headers

This one should be reworked.  I don't like the way it looks kind of
ad-hoc and disorganized.

> Rivet_Buffered
> Rivet_HFlush
> Rivet_HGetVars

This needs to be done better as well, I think...

> Rivet_Var
> Rivet_Upload
> Rivet_Info

I'm not sure if I like this or not.  It doesn't have much information
- maybe we should be using Apache's status score board thing...

> Rivet_noBody

This is so we can send numeric responses to redirect pages.

>     Now, it looks to me like if we remove hputs, we can also get rid
> of bufferAdd, buffered and hflush, but since I'm not familiar with
> mod_dtcl's commands, I don't really know what they do.  So, can we
> or can we not rid ourselves of these commands as well?

Hrm...  I would like to get rid of as much as possible.  Let me
explain what those do:

when a page is accessed, it gets transformed into something like this:

buffer_add "the
first
chunk of html, which is *always* buffered
so that it's possible to manipulate the headers from tcl!
"

some
tcl [code]

hputs "send more html - but this time it's either sent directly, or
buffered, depending on the state of things, which may be manipulated
with the buffered command and hflush"

more [tcl code]

hputs "...... and so on and so forth"

I think we can manage to get rid of everything, but we will need to
make sure that it's still possible to do some of this buffering.  It's
nice to start sending stuff immediately to the client.  I use my own
internal buffering, just to be clear - not Tcl's.