Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Diego Castillo <di...@inexbee.com> on 2003/02/05 18:18:59 UTC

RE : Open Relay

Hi Mark,

Reconfigure your James and ask them to run their spam again against your
IP. In about 1 day you will be removed from their database and receive a
report by email.

Their spam test consists in sending 3 mails to your James sent to an
address looking like *@*.ordb.org. If it is properly configured, they
should show up in your spam repository.

Regards,

Diego

Posted by Mark Imel <mi...@imelshire.com>.
Sorry all, for kicking off this tired debate...
I had read the Faq at http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html#2 (and mentioned it
in my initial email) but of course with the list threads, the full
conversation was truncated.

I certainly never meant to imply that James was an Open Relay Mail Server.
I was just attempting to get a bit more information, and also potentially
warn people from using the services at http://ordb.org when checking the
status of their mail server, UNTIL they had done some thorough testing of
their own.

I had prematurely submitted my site to http://ordb.org, and was dismayed
that i was automatically added to their open relay data base...
I kind of panicked...
Read some FAQs...
Wanted a bit more info...
Then got back to Properly configuring James...
resubmitted my site...
And was removed from their open relay data base... (Success!)

End result, I'm a very happy James user that is not hosting an open relay...
And I have the tests to prove it.

Thanks all for the information.
Regards,
--Mark Imel