Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2003/01/23 20:33:19 UTC

Re: feature http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/dynamic]

Hi all,

While I'll admit that my feelings about this don't run particularly deep,
it seems that it would be best if this could be closed off before the next
release.  So here's another message supporting Sandy's idea that the
dynamic-validation feature should have effect, when set, whatever's been
done to the validation feature.  This almost certainly can't break anyone,
is dead simple, and accords with the wording of our docs; so why not do it
and get on with life?

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: feature http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/dynamic]

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
neilg@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> [...] so why not do it and get on with life?

Okay.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: feature http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/dynamic]

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
>dynamic-validation feature should have effect, when set, whatever's been
>done to the validation feature.

Personally, I like the "you obviously meant" behavior -- turning dynamic
on should imply validation is turned on if not already on. Turning
validation off should turn dynamic off if it isn't already off.

(What we *really* want is a single parameter, validationMode, which covers
all the combinations of schema/dtd must/may/must-not be consulted. But
given how the APIs have been standardized, it's a bit late to make that
large a change.)

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research