Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org> on 2017/02/16 10:34:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Scaling out CI capability

Hi Apache Zeppelin contributors!

Recently, it's not very difficult to see pullrequest is waiting more than
10 hours to get travis-ci build slot.

It's because of all ASF project shares the same travis account and the
account's capability is limited. Although ASF assigned 5 concurrent build
capacity to Zeppelin, it's not dedicated slot, it's more like max
concurrent build limit, so when ASF travis is busy, Zeppelin pullrequest
should wait.

But each contributor can get 5 concurrent build capacity for opensource
project. if we can leverage that, Zeppelin will no longer suffer from CI
build capacity.

I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-2123 and it
includes proposed way, how Zeppelin can leverage individual contributors
travis account.
And created required script https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2026.

Please take a look the proposal. Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
moon

Re: [DISCUSS] Scaling out CI capability

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
ZEPPELIN-2123 is resolved.

Pull requests build capacity is not limited by 5 concurrent build any more.
Now Zeppelin project leverages each individual contributors travis-ci, so
we've got virtually unlimited concurrent build capacity for pull request.

Only thing the contributor should aware is setup and switch on travis-ci
for Zeppelin folk, explained here
http://zeppelin.apache.org/contribution/contributions.html#continuous-integration
.

Thanks,