Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Greg Chase <gr...@apache.org> on 2016/06/15 19:20:34 UTC

[VIRTUAL] Meetup for Data Scientists Tuesday 6/21 - 9AM Pacific : Zeppelin meets MADlib & HAWQ

Dear members of the Apache Zeppelin, Apache MADlib, and Apache HAWQ
communities,

We are hosting a cross-community virtual meeting for data science users
this next Tuesday, June 21, 9AM Pacific.  No sign up is necessary, just
join the event here <https://pivotalcommunity​.adobeconnect.com/madlib>.
This meeting will also be recorded and posted.

We'll be introducing users of Zeppelin to the capabilities of the MADlib
SQL machine learning library.  We'll be showing users of MADlib how they
can visualize their investigations and publish their work using the
Zeppelin notebook.

Agenda:
* What is Apache Zeppelin?
* What is Apache HAWQ (incubating) and Apache MADlib (incubating)? - 5
min/Frank
* Demo of Zeppelin and MADlib for data science running on HAWQ

More about the technologies we'll be discussing:

*Apache Zeppelin* <https://zeppelin.apache.org/> is a web-based notebook
that enables interactive data analytics. It lets you make beautiful
data-driven, interactive and collaborative documents with SQL, Scala and
more.  Apache Zeppelin has plugins to many database engines including
PostgreSQL, and massively parallel processing engines based off PostgreSQL
including Apache HAWQ and the Greenplum Database.

*Apache MADlib (incubating) <http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/>* is a big
data machine learning library in SQL for data scientists. It operates on
data locally in PostgreSQL-compatible database engines. MADlib is optimized
for parallel processing platforms such as Apache HAWQ and the Greenplum
Database.

*Apache HAWQ (incubating) <http://hawq.incubator.apache.org/>* is an Apache
Hadoop-Native SQL query engine that operates directly on data in a Hadoop
cluster. It provides the highest degree of SQL completeness of any SQL on
Hadoop engine. It scales elastically, is parallel processing, and
integrates with MADlib and Zeppelin.

Speakers will be:

*Moon soo Lee -  CTO, NFLabs*
LeeMoonSoo is a creator for Apache Zeppelin (incubating) and a Co-Founder,
CTO at NFLabs.

*Frank McQuillan - Director of Product Management, Pivotal Software*
Frank McQuillan focuses on analytics and machine learning for large data
sets.

*Rahul Iyer - R&D Manager, Pivotal Software*
Rahul Iyer leads the development team at Pivotal Software that contributes
to the Apache MADlib project.

See you this next Tuesday, June 21, 9AM Pacific.  No sign up is necessary,
just join the event here
<https://pivotalcommunity.adobeconnect.com/madlib%E2%80%8B>.

Fwd: [VIRTUAL] Meetup for Data Scientists Tuesday 6/21 - 9AM Pacific : Zeppelin meets MADlib & HAWQ