Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by po...@tigris.org on 2009/01/19 14:53:14 UTC

Once again: The $name$ keyword

Sorry if annoying you. I've searched for quite a long time for a solution to the missing "$name$" keyword in subversion. I could not find anything helpful.

I would like to replace "$name$" keywords in my source code files by the "tag name" (by common convention, the first subfolder below "tags/"). I found the advice to write a piece of code in the corresponding file (e.g. if it is a javascript file, write a piece of javascript, etc.) which uses $URL$ and extracts the part of interest. This is absolutely no satisfying solution if the tag name should be replaced in dozens or hundreds of files in different languages or even plain text.

I also found that there is no way to implement such a keyword using hooks (?)

My last two hopes are:
* Is this feature planned for a near-future release?
* Is there some ready-to-use client wrapper, or whatever, which solves this issue?

Thx,
Daniel

Re: Once again: The $name$ keyword

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <ti...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 19, 2009, at 08:53, postmaster@tigris.org wrote:

> Sorry if annoying you. I've searched for quite a long time for a
> solution to the missing "$name$" keyword in subversion. I could not
> find anything helpful.
>
> I would like to replace "$name$" keywords in my source code files
> by the "tag name" (by common convention, the first subfolder below
> "tags/"). I found the advice to write a piece of code in the
> corresponding file (e.g. if it is a javascript file, write a piece
> of javascript, etc.) which uses $URL$ and extracts the part of
> interest. This is absolutely no satisfying solution if the tag name
> should be replaced in dozens or hundreds of files in different
> languages or even plain text.
>
> I also found that there is no way to implement such a keyword using
> hooks (?)
>
> My last two hopes are:
> * Is this feature planned for a near-future release?
> * Is there some ready-to-use client wrapper, or whatever, which
> solves this issue?

I know of no plan to implement this or of any client-side wrapper or
other already-built solution for this.

A problem is that Subversion does not know what you mean by "tag
name" since tags are just a concept that humans understand;
Subversion itself assigns no special meaning to any of the
directories in your repository. The suggested directory names
"trunk", "branches" and "tags" are also just suggestions and not
everyone follows them.

The only existing solution I'm aware of is the one you say you don't
like: parse the $URL$ keyword instead. This suggestion should not be
so onerous, since you don't need to do this parsing for hundreds of
files; you just need to do it for one file, assuming all the files
you've checked out are from the same tag. If you are trying to
package up a tag and send it to someone who does not have Subversion,
then your packaging script can do this parsing of the $URL$ keyword
of one particular file and write the tag name to some other info file.

If that's not helpful, perhaps you could explain what the use case is
for wanting the tag name to appear in every file.

Re: Once again: The $name$ keyword

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM,  <po...@tigris.org> wrote:
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> Please use a real email address: your own.

This happens when people use the new web UI to post to the forums.  If
they are logged in to tigris, it uses their account, otherwise, the
email address defaults to this.  I wish it defaulted to an empty field
that made you enter something.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Once again: The $name$ keyword

Posted by Felix Gilcher <fe...@bitextender.com>.
This seems to be a mailing list bug of some sort. There's suddenly a
lot of people using postmaster@tigris.org as sender address :)

See:

- Any news from the IBM i port? (aka AS/400)

- Access control ghelp with svn 1.5.4

- 1.5.5 Release notes <--- funny enough this one appears twice, once
with the proper and once with the postmaster address

cheers

felix

--
Felix Gilcher

Bitextender GmbH
Paul-Heyse-Str. 6
D-80336 München

Re: Once again: The $name$ keyword

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
The deluge was because no one has been moderating the list.  So I just
signed up to moderate and then moderated through a lot of messages.

The postmaster@tigris.org address is from users that post using the
web UI, while not logged in to tigris and do not bother to provide a
different email address.

Mark

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Hari Kodungallur
<hk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Erik,
>
> I was about to send an email to the list regarding this.
>
> For some reason I think it could be at the mail server end. Today there has
> been a deluge of emails some of them originally sent 3 weeks back (I don't
> know if they were never delivered then or whether it is just a resend again
> now). And at least a few of them were from "postmaster@tigris.org". And it
> looked like the content of these emails were not from the same person.
>
> Would you be able to get someone @ tigris.org to look at it?
>
> thanks,
> -Hari
>

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM,  <po...@tigris.org> wrote:

>> Please use a real email address: your own.
>>
>> Bye,
>>
>> Erik.

Thanks

Mark Phippard