Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org> on 2007/05/21 22:43:06 UTC

CVS parameters

I'm getting this error when I try to update my project:
[ERROR] No CVS root is set. Check your <repository> information in the POM.

Where in the POM do I set the CVS Root?
How can I specify the user id and password outside of the POM?

--
Esse Quam Videre
To Be, rather than to Seem

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
You may also find some info on this page useful:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Continuous+Integration

Specifically, the sections ".cvspass file creation" and "Configure
settings.xml file".

Wayne

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
We need the version of the changelog plugin and the scm plugin too.

Emmanuel

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.
[ERROR] Didn't find password for CVSROOT ':
pserver:js6285@cipe801.sldc.sbc.com:12310/appl/pkg1/cvs/reps/theteam/cvs'.

BTW, the user id I have in the pom is "maven", so I'm thinking that it's
picking up the id from the Root entry is the CVS directory.

Is that a feature or a bug?  :-)

On 5/23/07, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fail with what error message?
>
> Wayne
>
> On 5/23/07, Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org> wrote:
> > Why would mvn scm:changelog work but mvn scm:update fail?
> >

> > --
> > Esse Quam Videre
> > To Be, rather than to Seem

Esse Quam Videre
To Be, rather than to Seem

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: CVS parameters

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.
On 5/22/07, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:

> Jon Strayer a écrit :
> > On 5/21/07, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not clear -- is this response not sufficient and you're asking for
> >> more help, or do you have things working?
> >>
> >> If you still need help, I'd suggest looking at example pom.xml files
> >> for some open source projects to see how they have configured their
> >> SCM. Here's a few links:
> >> http://svn.plexus.codehaus.org/browse/plexus/trunk/pom.xml?r=1500
> >> http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jline/jline/gump_file/pom.xml.html
> >> http://fisheye1.cenqua.com/browse/wsmo4j/ext/pom.xml?r=1.4
> >>
> >> If you're having specific problems, tell us what you've done, what
> >> specifically isn't working, what error messages you're receiving, etc.
> >>
> >> Wayne
> >>

> > This is my scm section:
> >    <scm>
> >        <connection>
> >            scm:cvs:pserver:js6285:password@cipe801.sldc.sbc.com:12310
> > :/appl/pkg1/cvs/reps/theteam/cvs:CSPCookieFilter
> >        </connection>
> >        <developerConnection>
> >            scm:cvs:pserver:js6285:password@cipe801.sldc.sbc.com:12310
> > :/appl/pkg1/cvs/reps/theteam/cvs:CSPCookieFilter
> >        </developerConnection>
> >        <tag>HEAD</tag>
> >        <url></url>
> >    </scm>
> >
> > This is the command I'm executing:
> > $ mvn -e  scm:update
> >
> > This is the error message:
> >
> > [ERROR] No CVS root is set. Check your <repository> information in the
> POM.
> > [ERROR] Provider message:
> > [ERROR] The cvs command failed.
> > [ERROR] Command output:
> > [ERROR]
>
> Do you use this command in a CVS working copy directory?
>

> > Nothing I've read says anything about cvsroot in the POM.
> >
> > Slightly more interesting is that if I execute the same command with the
> > same POM in a directory where I've already checked out the code I get
> this
> > error:
> > [ERROR] Didn't find password for CVSROOT ':
> > pserver:js6285@cipe801.sldc.sbc.com:12310/appl/pkg1/cvs/reps/theteam/cvs
> '.
> >
> > The user ID in the error message is always the one I used to check out
> the
> > code, not the one in the POM (when they are different).  The password is
> in
> > the POM but it's not being used.  Also, there seems to be a colon
> missing
> > between the port number and the path to the repository.
>
> colon isn't missing, it's the format used in .cvspass
> how did you checked out your project?

Eclipse.

What is the version of your scm plugin?

I take it that there is no way to get it to print out for me?

I see 1.0-rc1 in my personal repository (but 1.0-beta-3 is also there).

Emmanuel

Esse Quam Videre
To Be, rather than to Seem

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.
On 5/21/07, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is pretty well-documented on the website:
> http://maven.apache.org/scm/cvs.html

I assume that's true if you already know the answer.  Trust me when I tell
you that after spending hours reading the site and searching through mailing
list archives it's not clear to me.

Wayne

> On 5/21/07, Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org> wrote:
> > I'm getting this error when I try to update my project:
> > [ERROR] No CVS root is set. Check your <repository> information in the
> POM.
> >
> > Where in the POM do I set the CVS Root?
> > How can I specify the user id and password outside of the POM?
> >
> > --
> > Esse Quam Videre
> > To Be, rather than to Seem

Esse Quam Videre
To Be, rather than to Seem

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven 2 command

Posted by Seth Mason <se...@slackorama.com>.
I found this page really helpful when I was starting off with maven.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/

HTH,
SETH

On 5/25/07, xiaojie han <xi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am new to maven2 and is in the learning process.
> Is there any site that has list of all the maven commands, such as mvn
> compile, etc and explains what that command will complish?
> it will be very helpful reference.
>
> thanks.

SETH

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.
Thanks.

On 5/25/07, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:

> In pom.xml
>
> <project>
> <scm>
>    <connection>scm:cvs:pserver:${cvs.user}:${cvs.password
> }@host:/cvs/root:module</connection>
>    <developerConnection>scm:cvs:pserver:${cvs.user}:${cvs.password
> }@host:/cvs/root:module</developerConnection>
> </scm>
> </project>
>
> in settings.xml
> <settings>
>    <profiles>
>      <profile>
>        <id>cvs_conf</id>
>        <properties>
>          <cvs.user>username</cvs.user>
>          <cvs.password>mypassword</cvs.password>
>        </properties>
>      </profile>
>    </profiles>
>    <activeProfiles>
>      <activeProfile>cvs_conf</activeProfile>
>    </activeProfiles>
> </settings>
>
> Emmanuel
>
> Jon Strayer a écrit :
> > I don't mind putting it in settings.xml.  What do I need to wrap it in?
> >
> > On 5/24/07, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can run a cvs login command so you won't have to store your
> password
> >> in your pom or settings.xml. It will be stored in .cvspass if you use a
> >> standard cvs or in the windows registry if you use cvsnt

> >> outside
> >> of

> the

Esse Quam Videre
To Be, rather than to Seem

maven 2 command

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
In pom.xml

Re: CVS parameters

Posted by Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org>.
I don't mind putting it in settings.xml.  What do I need to wrap it in?

On 5/24/07, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:

> You can run a cvs login command so you won't have to store your password
> in your pom or settings.xml. It will be stored in .cvspass if you use a
> standard cvs or in the windows registry if you use cvsnt
>
> Emmanuel
>
> Jon Strayer a écrit :
> > Getting back to my original question, how can I set the password outside
> of
> > the POM?
> >
> > On 5/21/07, Jon Strayer <jo...@strayer.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm getting this error when I try to update my project:
> >> [ERROR] No CVS root is set. Check your <repository> information in the
> >> POM.
> >>
> >> Where in the POM do I set the CVS Root?
> >> How can I specify the user id and password outside of the POM?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Esse Quam Videre
> >> To Be, rather than to Seem

Esse Quam Videre