Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2003/01/02 03:36:55 UTC

re: Gump and Jaxp?

Conor Writes:
> Whilst it is not needed for JDK 1.4, Gump still requires it explicitly.
I presume
> this is because Gump still supports JDK 1.3. To solve this you need to
install
> the JAXP package into your package directory.

Thanks for this Conor. How bizarre we go to all this trouble to build from
source and still have to rely on a prebuilt jar for jaxp. I thought
xml-commons had jaxp in it's charter?

> If you look at your workspace element, you'll see something like
> <workspace basedir="/home/gump/gumprun" pkgdir="/opt"
> sync="rsync -r -a --delete" version="0.3">

> So, you need to grab the JAXP stuff from sun and install in /opt, or
wherever your pkgdir points to.

Cool, will do.

> I downloaded the latest XML pack from Sun recently but this is now newer
than that used by Gump, so I symlinked it.
> java_xml_pack-summer-02 -> java_xml_pack-summer-02_01
> and within that
> jaxp-1.2 -> jaxp-1.2_01

Where does the '-summer-02' come from? the module name is 'java-xml-pack'
right? Is there any doco on the layout of the pkgdir? I can't find any on
http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/workspace.html
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> They were meant to be contraditory.  You were supposed to connect the
> dots (literally).  ;-)

Too late at night for me to do that :-)

> As long as Gump can bootstrap, I am happy.  However, those newbies that
> you were about to lead down the garden path may find it troublesome...

I'll stick to released Ant features, then.

Conor

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:

>> Works for me on linux, fails on windows.  Here's the -verbose output:
>>
>> This doesn't make any sense to me...
>
> OK, path separator is at least one issue. I won't have access to a
> windows box for another week (I'm on leave at the moment - hooray) so
> I'll try to sort it out then.

Doesn't appear to be a path separator issue.  I issue the indicated
command directly from the command line, and it appears to do the right
thing.

>  >
>  > I sure hope that gump's build.xml doesn't ever rely on new features that
>  > are added to ant...
>  >

>> ... cool!  And since I always bootstrap and then use the latest
>> version of ant, this won't cause me any problems.  ;-)
>>

> It seems as if the above two statements (which I have juxtaposed) are
> contradictory. Is it OK for Gump's build.xml to use unreleased Ant
> features?

They were meant to be contraditory.  You were supposed to connect the
dots (literally).  ;-)

As long as Gump can bootstrap, I am happy.  However, those newbies that
you were about to lead down the garden path may find it troublesome...

- Sam Ruby

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> No, it means that you have something extra: a prebuilt version of ant.  ;-)

Right, good point. I do tend to have those hanging around :-)

In the end, this might be a reasonable approach - the generated scripts
don't rely on that prebuilt Ant, just the script generation phase. Really,
it comes down to a maintenance issue (Keeping gen.sh and build.xml's gen
target in sync). I think I know your preference but for Gump newbies, this
might be an easier road.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> I don't use gen.sh at all. Under JDK 1.4, I just do
>
> ant -Dworkspace=conor.xml
>
> and away it goes. Don't know if this means I am missing something ? :-)

No, it means that you have something extra: a prebuilt version of ant.  ;-)

I sure hope that gump's build.xml doesn't ever rely on new features that
are added to ant...

> I've just committed a change to allow the execution of the generated
> publish scripts to be automated too.
>
> So, now I use
>
> ant -Dworkspace=conor.xml exec-scripts
>
> to generate the update and build scripts.
>
> I've tested it on Linux - anyone care to test on Windows?

Works for me on linux, fails on windows.  Here's the -verbose output:

exec-scripts:
      [exec] Current OS is Windows XP
      [exec] Executing 'cmd.exe' with arguments:
      [exec] 'puball.bat'
      [exec] '../rubypad.xml'
      [exec]
      [exec] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
      [exec] not part of the command.
      [exec] 'ubypad.xml' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
      [exec] operable program or batch file.
      [exec] Result: 1

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Mind if I add something similar to that text to the docs?

Please do.  Most of this stuff is now second nature to me, so it helps
if it is seen through fresh eyes.  Put it in terms that make sense to
you.  Don't be overly concerned about technical accuracy as I (and
others) can spot things that are clearly wrong... what I am less good at
is spotting things that are unclear or outright missing.

I just realized that I didn't describe the build.xml that is in gump.
After the bootstrap, this is handy for two things: rebuilding the
scripts (build.sh and update.sh) or rebuilding the site.  Building it
this way is much faster than using the gen script.

I just added a nsuml project description.  The way I did it was to add a
very minimal description (only dependencies were ant and xerces).  Then
I did:

build gump scripts
update nsuml
build nsuml

Then I would find an error which I fixed(couldn't gen, so added
nsmdf_gen.jar) and then issued:

build gump scripts
build nsuml

This time it failed due to a missing nsmdf.jar.  I added it and repeated
the above two steps and all worked.  I then tried "build commons-graph2"
and got a failure.  The failure looks to me like the build.xml that is
checked into that repository was generated by an old version of maven,
but we can debug that tomorrow.

> And to think you committed my first patch to Ant back in 1996 I think :) I
> hear you about tone of voice in email. I'm not the smoothest of people
> when it comes to email.

Couldn't have been that far back, Ant didn't get started until 1999
IIRC.  ;-)

But I do remember you being interested in NetRexx support... ;-)

- Sam Ruby

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Mind if I add something similar to that text to the docs?

Please do.  Most of this stuff is now second nature to me, so it helps
if it is seen through fresh eyes.  Put it in terms that make sense to
you.  Don't be overly concerned about technical accuracy as I (and
others) can spot things that are clearly wrong... what I am less good at
is spotting things that are unclear or outright missing.

I just realized that I didn't describe the build.xml that is in gump.
After the bootstrap, this is handy for two things: rebuilding the
scripts (build.sh and update.sh) or rebuilding the site.  Building it
this way is much faster than using the gen script.

I just added a nsuml project description.  The way I did it was to add a
very minimal description (only dependencies were ant and xerces).  Then
I did:

build gump scripts
update nsuml
build nsuml

Then I would find an error which I fixed(couldn't gen, so added
nsmdf_gen.jar) and then issued:

build gump scripts
build nsuml

This time it failed due to a missing nsmdf.jar.  I added it and repeated
the above two steps and all worked.  I then tried "build commons-graph2"
and got a failure.  The failure looks to me like the build.xml that is
checked into that repository was generated by an old version of maven,
but we can debug that tomorrow.

> And to think you committed my first patch to Ant back in 1996 I think :) I
> hear you about tone of voice in email. I'm not the smoothest of people
> when it comes to email.

Couldn't have been that far back, Ant didn't get started until 1999
IIRC.  ;-)

But I do remember you being interested in NetRexx support... ;-)

- Sam Ruby

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote on 02/01/2003 03:29:09 PM:

[good stuff snipped]

Mind if I add something similar to that text to the docs?

> > Frustration often gets fixed....
>
> I've been doing this for two years now, and plan to continue for the
> foreseeable future.  I don't know you well enough yet to know based on
> your email as to whether this was merely irritating or actually
> infuriating.  It appears to have been the former... good.
And to think you committed my first patch to Ant back in 1996 I think :) I
hear you about tone of voice in email. I'm not the smoothest of people
when it comes to email.

[more snippage]
> As long as James depends on an unreleased version of a sandbox component

> of Avalon, then I plan to be obstinant.
Works for me.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> I'm just frustrated. Don't let it get to you. I try not to :-) I'm also
> trying to update docs/code as I find things that are hard to understand
> and use.
>
> For example, the web site says to use gump, you run gen, update and build.
> But what's not clear is when you would want to re-run them, and what they
> produce. e.g. Why would I want to re-run gen? What's the relationship with
> the gen target in build.xml? etc....

gen.sh = bootstrap

gen target in build.xml is what you "normally" use after you have
successfully bootstrapped.

Getting started:
   gen.sh
   update all
   build all

At this point, you can

1) directly make a change to any project and build it with

       build project target

    if you then want to build any other project, you can simply build
    that project, and you will automatically pick up your fixes to the
    first project.

2) run cvs update against any project and build it, just like above.
    This is very useful for isolating integration breakages.  Recently
    there was a build breakage that was caused by a change to ant.  I
    never understand the cause and effect relationship between the change
    and the breakage, but I was able to "cvs -q update -D date" the
    version of ant to the point in time just before the commit in
    question and build both ant and the other project.  Doing a cvs
    update which included the additional one file change and rebuilding
    ant and the the other project reproduced the failure.

3) rm -rf a project and rebuild it.  The build script checks for the
    directory being there, and if not found, will automatically copy the
    source from the latest update.  This is helpful when you make some
    changes and realize that you are making things worse...  ;-)

> Frustration often gets fixed....

I've been doing this for two years now, and plan to continue for the
foreseeable future.  I don't know you well enough yet to know based on
your email as to whether this was merely irritating or actually
infuriating.  It appears to have been the former... good.

> Does this mean projects like James who have had failing gump builds
> because of changes in dependencies, can specify a version of a gump built
> jar to use until the problem is resolved?

I don't particularly want to get into the combinatorics of every project
depending on particular nightly snapshots of one another, but will
support for a reasonable period of time building major versions that are
actively being maintained.

For quite a while I supported xerces 1 and 2.  And xalan 1 and 2.  Now
gump supports 3 versions of Tomcat, and two versions of turbine and soap.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote on 02/01/2003 02:22:37 PM:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> >
> > Answering my own question: the profile 'extends' a project by adding a

> > 'package' which is actually the directory in the 'pkgdir' of the
> > 'workspace'.
> >
> > Clear as mud.
>
> Sigh.   This was done in an attempt to appease an individual who
> apparently could not be appeased.

I'm just frustrated. Don't let it get to you. I try not to :-) I'm also
trying to update docs/code as I find things that are hard to understand
and use.

For example, the web site says to use gump, you run gen, update and build.
But what's not clear is when you would want to re-run them, and what they
produce. e.g. Why would I want to re-run gen? What's the relationship with
the gen target in build.xml? etc....

Frustration often gets fixed....

> For now, lets focus on the fact that in the last few days you have
> become aware of a number of integration issues that you otherwise would
> not have been aware of without gump.  If we can build upon that, we can
> truly have an early warning and feedback cycle between all projects.
Yep. And I'm happy that it can be done.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Re: Gump and Jaxp?