Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Roy Gordon <ro...@semantic.com> on 2003/04/01 13:33:44 UTC

[users@httpd] shutting down:

This must have been asked a zillion times but trying to go to the archives
page didn't take me anywhere.   So...

Apache 2.0.44 attempts to start on my XP Pro system I get the following
error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin>apache -k install
(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network
address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs.
I actually when into httpd.conf and modified it so I told it to listen at
127.0.0.1:80.

Same message.  And, localhost is there.  I can ping it (ping -t localhost).

As far as I know I have no other program using any of these addresses.

It's not my firewall.  I disabled it and got the same result.

Thanks.

Roy

Re: [users@httpd] shutting down:

Posted by Wes Hegge <wh...@charter.net>.
I have a similar problem with Apache 2.0.40, so I suspect my solution
should work for you.  All I did was remark out the 'listen' statement in
my httpd.conf file.  I am running on RedHat 8.0. I have not setup Apache
on a Windows based system before but the directive should be the same.

I have not got a good answer as to why this works.  I believe that
Apache 2.0 automatically starts up on port 80 with localhost or
127.0.0.1.  Not sure though on that.

Hope this helps,

Wes Hegge
SignalBlast.Com, Inc.