Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Alex Stillwell <al...@talktalk.net> on 2013/06/19 11:23:55 UTC

Starting Introduction to Contributing to Apache OpenOffice Module

Hi

I would like to contribute as projects like this only work when there are willing helpers.

Unfortunately I'm a silver surfer with virtually no knowledge of how programs work, I can generally work out how to use them, sometimes in unusual ways.

 I wrote a book on lacemaking full of diagrams and photos using Word 2000 and my publisher had no idea how I did it,  'All about making- Geomtrical Bucks Point Lace' www.alexstillwell.wordpress.com I have others also listed on the website and I have given one to the Arizona University Library for free download because the demand is too small for a reprint but there are those who wish to have access to the material.

If I can be of any help please let me know. I have just finished a book and as I do not have another in mind I have time available.

Best wishes to all

Alex

Re: Starting Introduction to Contributing to Apache OpenOffice Module

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:23 AM, Alex Stillwell
<al...@talktalk.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to contribute as projects like this only work when there are willing helpers.
>
> Unfortunately I'm a silver surfer with virtually no knowledge of how programs work, I can generally work out how to use them, sometimes in unusual ways.
>
>  I wrote a book on lacemaking full of diagrams and photos using Word 2000 and my publisher had no idea how I did it,  'All about making- Geomtrical Bucks Point Lace' www.alexstillwell.wordpress.com I have others also listed on the website and I have given one to the Arizona University Library for free download because the demand is too small for a reprint but there are those who wish to have access to the material.
>
> If I can be of any help please let me know. I have just finished a book and as I do not have another in mind I have time available.

Hello Alex,

Thanks for writing and welcome to the Apache OpenOffice project!

I must admit I know very little about lace.  But I saw someone making
lace in the Netherlands once, by hand, and it looked extremely
complicated.  I'll stick with macramé  ;-)

On the volunteer side, and since you do have good writing skills, we
do have a documentation team that can use some more help:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html

Another idea is to simply use Apache OpenOffice for your ordinary
computer tasks and keep notes on any tips and tricks that you think
would be useful for users like you.  That could form the nucleus of an
article (or something longer).

Regards,

-Rob