Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Betty Koon <bk...@adobe.com> on 2004/06/17 02:19:00 UTC

Html:messages tag

Hi All,

I seem not to be able to get html:message print out the message I set up in
the action at all.
I have looked at the request attribute, it does contain the ActionMessages
and I was able to retrieve the message for a particular property in my JSP,
but the tag just doesn't work.

Here is the code snipplet in my jsp

<logic:messagesPresent message="true">

Msg=<html:messages id="msg" message="true" property="x" />

</logic:messagesPresent>

The output is always Msg=

Any idea?  Thanks

-Betty
Posted by Chris Cranford <ch...@tkdsoftware.com>.
How are you creating the message inside your action?  Can you post that code
snippet?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I did elaborate in a code snippets. The <html:messages> tag is designed to
have a body, and process it iteratively - in your example it will iterate
over all messages with a property "x" processing the body of the tag for
each message it finds. The reason your code works is by accident - it stores
each message under the page scope variable you specify - it just so happens
that after its finished processing its body the last one still exists -
making your code work (sort of) - but if you removed the
<logic:messagesPresent> tage you would end up with "Msg=" being displayed
when there were no messages. In your code the <html:messages> tag has no
body - in mine id does....

My suggesstion was that you should replace....

<logic:messagesPresent message="true">
      Msg=<bean:write name="msg" />
 </logic:messagesPresent>

With the following.....

      Msg=<bean:write name="msg" />

Niall

Posted by Chris Cranford <ch...@tkdsoftware.com>.
Yup :-) ... that is correct ... :-)

> I didn't know I have to do the following:
> <logic:messagesPresent message="true">
> Msg=<bean:write name="msg" />
> </logic:messagesPresent>
>
> -Betty

in
> the action at all.
> I have looked at the request attribute, it does contain the
> ActionMessages and I was able to retrieve the message for a particular
> property in my
JSP,

RE: Html:messages tag

Posted by Betty Koon <bk...@adobe.com>.
I did, it doesn't help.  Nothing get printed out at all.

-Betty

> I seem not to be able to get html:message print out the message I set
> up
in
> the action at all.
> I have looked at the request attribute, it does contain the
> ActionMessages and I was able to retrieve the message for a particular
> property in my
JSP,

Re: Html:messages tag