Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2014/02/12 21:07:28 UTC

Maven Issue - pluginManagement - build Area Plugin

Hi,
i have a question. The following situation. Pom file which uses the
following parent:

     <parent>
         <groupId>org.codehaus</groupId>
         <artifactId>codehaus-parent</artifactId>
         <version>4</version>
     </parent>

     <prerequisites>
       <maven>${mavenVersion}</maven>
     </prerequisites>

and the following part in my pom file:

     <build>
         <pluginManagement>
             <plugins>
                 <plugin>
                     <artifactId>maven-enforcer-plugin</artifactId>
                     <version>1.3.1</version>
                 </plugin>
             </plugins>
         </pluginManagement>
         <plugins>
             <plugin>
               <artifactId>maven-enforcer-plugin</artifactId>
               <executions>
                 <execution>
                   <id>enforce-maven</id>
                   <goals>
           ... The rule does not matter..

So if i call (Maven 2.2.1)

mvn clean package I got the following error:

[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to configure plugin parameters for:
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-enforcer-plugin:1.0

Cause: Class 'org.apache.maven.enforcer.rule.api.EnforcerRule' cannot be
instantiated

So if i call with Maven 3.0.5:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-enforcer-plugin:1.0:enforce
(enforce-maven) on project test-enforcer: Unable to parse configuration
of mojo org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-enforcer-plugin:1.0:enforce for
parameter requireSameVersions: Abstract class or interface
'org.apache.maven.enforcer.rule.api.EnforcerRule' cannot be instantiated
-> [Help 1]

Maven 3.1.X and Maven 3.2.X tested as well...

So this looks to me that the pluginManagement does not overwrite the
version 1.0 which is defined in the codehaus-parent. To be honest the
codehaus-parent does not define it via pluginManagement it just uses the
following:

<build>
         <plugins>
             <plugin>
                 <artifactId>maven-enforcer-plugin</artifactId>
                 <version>1.0</version>
                 <executions>
                     <execution>
                         <id>enforce-maven</id>
                         <goals>
                             <goal>enforce</goal>
                         </goals>
                         <configuration>
                             <rules>
                                 <requireMavenVersion>

<version>(,2.1.0),(2.1.0,2.2.0),(2.2.0,)</version>
                                     <message>Maven 2.1.0 and 2.2.0
produce incorrect GPG signatures and checksums respectively.</message>
                                 </requireMavenVersion>
                             </rules>
                         </configuration>
                     </execution>
                 </executions>
             </plugin>
         </plugins>

First the codehaus-parent seemed to be wrong...so i can't overwrite the
version of the plugin by using a pluginManagement block in inherited
project which forces me to define the version explicitly in my pom in
the build block to get that working like this:

         <plugins>
             <plugin>
               <artifactId>maven-enforcer-plugin</artifactId>
               <version>1.3.1</version>
               <executions>

WDYT ? Bug ? Right behaviour ?

Kind regards
Karl-Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Issue - pluginManagement - build Area Plugin

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Right. It seems no one knows where the source is.

I think this is better to discuss in the JIRA ticket. It's not for this
list.
I'm sure that e.g. the Mojo team could take responsibility of
codehaus-parent. Just need Ben to set up a repo.

/Anders

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 14 Feb 2014, at 08:09, Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net> wrote:

> Seems like this super pom is versioned at github under the sonatype
> organization (?).
>
> Cf. scm tag in
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/codehaus/codehaus-parent/4/codehaus-parent-4.pom
> But https://github.com/sonatype/codehaus-parent gives a 404...
>
> Anyone?

Looks like it was moved into a general OSS parent pom repo:

	https://github.com/sonatype/oss-parents/blob/master/codehaus-parent/pom.xml

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Op Fri, 14 Feb 2014 09:01:14 +0100 schreef Karl Heinz Marbaise
<kh...@gmx.de>:

> Hi Anders,
>
>  > I reported this Codehaus parent issue a long time ago (HAUS-2245 [1]).
>
> Good to know...
>
>> Unfortunately the codehaus-parent seems to be in a unmaintained state.
>
> Who is responsible for the codehaus-parent ? Can we (or i) take the
> issue and fix it ?

Juven Xu used to maintain this.

Robert

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Anders,

> [...]

>>                                  <requireMavenVersion>
>>
>> <version>(,2.1.0),(2.1.0,2.2.0),(2.2.0,)</version>
>>                                      <message>Maven 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 produce
>> incorrect GPG signatures and checksums respectively.</message>
>>                                  </requireMavenVersion>
>>                              </rules>
>>                          </configuration>
>>                      </execution>
>>                  </executions>
>>              </plugin>
>>          </plugins>
>>

>> First the codehaus-parent seemed to be wrong...so i can't overwrite the
>> version of the plugin by using a pluginManagement block in inherited
>> project which forces me to define the version explicitly in my pom in the
>> build block to get that working like this:
>>
>>          <plugins>
>>              <plugin>
>>                <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>                <artifactId>maven-enforcer-plugin</artifactId>

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Karl-Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Hi,

See model builder algorithm [1]
If someone codes a version in build/plugin, that mean he wants to override
value injected from build/pluginManagement

consequence is that once overridden, pluginManagement doesn't apply any more

so: defining a version in build/plugin in a global parent pom is generally a
bad idea

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/maven-model-builder/