Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Ross <ke...@familyross.net> on 2014/02/24 22:47:00 UTC

Created branches, tags, and trunk after the fact, MOSTLY works

Hello,

When the project repository was setup, we didn't include branches, tags,
and trunk (oversight on our part).  It wasn't until we decided we wanted
to start branching that we realized this mistake.  So in TortoiseSVN
repo-browser, I created branches, tags, and trunk folders, and from the
repo-browser, moved the existing folders into the trunk folder.

I also then created a branch from a specific revision, and it created
the branch for me.  I've committed changes to the branch (and to the
trunk) without problems.

However, if I try to "svn switch" between trunk and a branch, I get "no
common ancestry" error (which I can override with --ignore-ancestry),
which leads me to believe that I didn't recreate the folder hierarchy
correctly.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
-- Kevin

RE: Created branches, tags, and trunk after the fact, MOSTLY works

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
Ah, that's what I get for responding before reading the whole thread. Glad you figured it out.

Posted by Kevin Ross <ke...@familyross.net>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Kevin Ross <ke...@familyross.net>.
I think I figured out the problem. When I created the first branch, it
was from a revision prior to the folder restructuring, which now makes
sense regarding the "no common ancestor" error.  I just created a new
branch from a revision after the restructure, and I can switch back and
forth between it and trunk without problem.

So I think I'm good to go.  I'll just have to use "--ignore-ancestry"
for that one, first branch.

Thanks!
-- Kevin