Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/06 12:42:17 UTC

Re: Accumulo upgrade rollback...

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, rolling back an upgraded system is not an automated task.
Moving from 1.5.4 to 1.6.6 as you saw !METADATA changed to
accumulo.metadata and accumulo.root.  The upgrade also changes the data
version of the rfiles, so any new files written from mutations or
compactions will not be readable by prior versions.  Good for you that you
saved off the /accumulo directory in HDFS.

What you are going to need to do is reinitialize Accumulo, create the
tables with whatever splits and configs you need, then bulk import the
rfiles from your /accumulo_backup directory in the new tables.  That will
make the metadata and zookeeper happy.  You can follow the directions for a
Zookeeper failure at
http://accumulo.apache.org/1.8/accumulo_user_manual.html#zookeeper_failure.

Interested in what you are seeing that made you want to rollback.  If you
are testing, you may want to try upgrading to the latest 1.8, which is
currently 1.8.1.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Accumulo upgrade rollback...

Posted by "Rosekrans, Robert" <ro...@lmco.com>.
Mike,

Thanks for the quick response.  It was very helpful and what I expected.

Thanks for the link to the zookeeper failure docs.

Long story short, we decided to go to 1.7.3 for now and then look at 1.8.1 in a couple months after it has a little more soak time.  The only reason for the rollback test was in case our production upgrade has any issues.

Again thanks for the quick reply.

Bob

Robert Rosekrans
iNovex Information Systems