Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2014/09/14 15:08:00 UTC

shared/server classloaders in Tomcat 8

Hi all,

The catalina.properties file [1] still mentions the server.loader and
shared.loader properties (now empty), but the documentation [2]
references only the common.loader property. Is this a left over of the
Tomcat 5.5 configuration, or are these properties still supported
internally?

The Debian package for Tomcat 8 still installs a 'shared' and a 'server'
directory under CATALINA_BASE and adds the paths to catalina.properties.
I wonder if this is still useful.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_12/conf/catalina.properties
[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Re: shared/server classloaders in Tomcat 8

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I looked it as well few weeks ago. It is still supported in the code.
Not sure how widely used it is but it doesn't cost anything on tomcat
side (2 lines) so I guess the doc should be updated.

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau