Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Tomasz Melcer <li...@exroot.org> on 2020/06/15 21:14:15 UTC

Re: Set up Constraint in Xlsx

On 21.05.2020 15:30, Marcin Wyrwalski wrote:
> I would like to ask, if there is a possibility to set up constraint
> to not allow user to write more than three decimall places in cell? I
> preparing and sending file to user, and user is supposed to return
> file with some data. I would like to set up constraints on required
> field, to allow only good values. Has anybody have any ide it this
> can be done?

As far as I understand, this is impossible. The XLSX file has no means
to limit the precision of numbers entered by the user. It only has means
to limit the precision of displaying them. Note that software (at least
MS Excel and LibreOffice Calc from my observations) considers any
numbers entered into cells as IEEE 754 double precision numbers (with
all related artifacts like rounding big integers).

Any rounding that needs to happen in your case will have to be handled
by your spreadsheet parsing code. If you absolutely need to make sure
the user cannot enter numbers that can't be represented as a DECIMAL(?,
?) type in your database, you should reconsider using the XLSX format as
means for providing data by your user.

--
Tomasz Melcer