Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fabian Birk <fa...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/22 16:12:43 UTC

Update path of executeable of a tomcat windows service

Hello,

I am using tomcat as a windows service and want to update the path of
executeable during my automated process via command line.
The Reason why I dont want to deinstall / install the service is, that I
want to keep the other informations like service user etc.

I have a tomcat 7 service (should work for all tomcat versions if possible)
and want to update it with the following command:

tomcat8 //US//TestService --DisplayName="TestService2" ^
--Install="..\Tomcat\x64\bin\tomcat8.exe"

The DisplayName is updated, install is not.

Is it even possible to change the path of executeable via tomcat?

Thanks for reading and your time.

Re: Update path of executeable of a tomcat windows service

Posted by Daniel Küppers <da...@tetralog.com>.
Am 22.02.2016 um 16:31 schrieb David kerber:
> On 2/22/2016 10:12 AM, Fabian Birk wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using tomcat as a windows service and want to update the path of
>> executeable during my automated process via command line.
>> The Reason why I dont want to deinstall / install the service is, that I
>> want to keep the other informations like service user etc.
>>
>> I have a tomcat 7 service (should work for all tomcat versions if
>> possible)
>> and want to update it with the following command:
>>
>> tomcat8 //US//TestService --DisplayName="TestService2" ^
>> --Install="..\Tomcat\x64\bin\tomcat8.exe"
>>
>> The DisplayName is updated, install is not.
>>
>> Is it even possible to change the path of executeable via tomcat?
>
> I'm not sure about using a tomcat utility to do that, but I believe
> you can use the windows SC command to modify this setting.
You can actually change the binPath as suggested[1] like this:
     sc config<service name> binPath=<binary path>
Also you need administrative rights for the edit.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/a/24877051/2614106

Re: Update path of executeable of a tomcat windows service

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.