Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2003/08/01 22:11:42 UTC

Re: strip rewritelog functionality per compiler option

--On Thursday, July 31, 2003 04:41:07 +0200 André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> wrote:

> On high-traffic production sites it is unlikely that RewriteLog will ever
> be used, so it may be desirable to strip the code entirely per compiler
> option from mod_rewrite.

I'd support removing RewriteLog entirely in 2.1.

If mod_rewrite has an error, it needs to go to the main errorlog.  We did
the same with mod_ssl a while back.  -- justin

Re: strip rewritelog functionality per compiler option

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:11:42PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I'd support removing RewriteLog entirely in 2.1.
>
> If mod_rewrite has an error, it needs to go to the main errorlog.  We did
> the same with mod_ssl a while back.  -- justin

The RewriteLog is no ordinary error log, just like SSLLogLevel trace weren't.
The purpose is to debug things that might not do exactly as expected, not
just plain error logging.
I didn't like the fact that the ssl log went into the common error log for
just that reason, but to do the same to the RewriteLog would be even more
of a PITA.
</rant>

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: strip rewritelog functionality per compiler option

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Thursday, July 31, 2003 04:41:07 +0200 André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> wrote:
>
>> On high-traffic production sites it is unlikely that RewriteLog will ever
>> be used, so it may be desirable to strip the code entirely per compiler
>> option from mod_rewrite.
>
> I'd support removing RewriteLog entirely in 2.1.
>
> If mod_rewrite has an error, it needs to go to the main errorlog.  We did
> the same with mod_ssl a while back.  -- justin

Hmm, errors are already written into the errorlog. The rewritelog is mostly
useful for debugging purposes (both for code and rulesets). Therefore I'd
leave it in by default. But as said, running production sites, or webspace
providers, where the user don't have httpd.conf access probably want to strip
it out.

nd

Re: strip rewritelog functionality per compiler option

Posted by David Burry <db...@tagnet.org>.
I agree entirely, as the documentation says, rewrite rules
are "voodoo" and often very hard to understand what's going
on and why a given ruleset isn't working as expected (which
is not the same as an error in the errorlog, more of a user
error).  The inability to trace through what it's doing in
the rewritelog would have made many of my past interesting
rulesets impossible to create.  Taking it out of production
sites is a great optimization, but definitely not a good
thing for site development.

Dave

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.