Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Greg Thompson <th...@credentica.com> on 2007/06/08 14:55:24 UTC

Maven, CVS, Eclipse, and Continuum

It seems that there are many rough edges relating to multimodule project
development in Eclipse.  I've searched the mailing lists and found
various people saying that they have usable setups, but I'm not sure
that I buy it.  I've tried:

1. Flat project layout: parent POM references child modules as
"../module1", while the children have relativePath to
"../parent/pom.xml".  The CVS layout is the same: blahblah/parent,
blahblah/module1, blahblah/module2.  Problems with this are, at least:

a. continuum checks the projects out into numbered directories, thereby
breaking the relative references.

b. generating the site from within continuum yields broken links here
and there.

c. continuum aside, I seem to recall that the site plugin does odd
things in this configuration.

2. Nest project layout: parent POM references child modules as
"module1", while the children use the default relativePath.  The CVS
layout matches: blahblah/parent, blahblah/parent/module1,
blahblah/parent/module2.  Problems with this are, at least:

a. to get the projects into Eclipse, we have to jump through hoops like
check out the parent into the workspace (so we have a "parent" project),
use the eclipse:eclipse goal to generate files, and then "import" the
modules as eclipse projects (so we have a "module1" project and a
"module2" project).  This is sub-optimal, as each module is really in
the workspace twice, once as a top-level Java project and once as a
sub-directory in the parent project.

b. when adding to Continuum, Continuum checks out the parent and each
module as separate projects (even though all modules are sub-dirs of the
parent).  I have to manually delete the modules so that there's only the
parent in continuum, and then remove the --non-recursive option.

Surely someone has figured out a better way.  Is such better way clearly
documented somewhere (rather than in a scattering of email messages that
may or may not be relevant given recent changes to Maven, Continuum, and
the myriad plugins involved)?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
--
		-Greg

m2 torque plugin

Posted by xiaojie han <xi...@yahoo.com>.
I just moved m1 to m2, but could not get torque plugin work.
with m1, I used command, maven torque:om, which will build db object
from *schema.xml.
I could not find instructions on doing this.
Is there anybody who has done it and like to offer some helps?
I really appreciate.

Re: Maven, CVS, Eclipse, and Continuum

Posted by Patrick Moore <pa...@amplafi.com>.
Hi -

I have wondered this myself about Eclipse. Ideally, I would like to have
just one project and eclipse:eclipse create a single project in the top
level parent directory that combined all of the module dependencies into a
single .classpath file.

-Pat

Re: Maven, CVS, Eclipse, and Continuum

Posted by Greg Thompson <th...@credentica.com>.
Christian Bauer wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> you can avoid topic
>
>> 2.a) ... This is sub-optimal, as each module is really in the
>> workspace twice, once as a top-level Java project and once as a
>> sub-directory in the parent project.
>
> by only checking out the root project (with all sub modules) and then
> importing the modules from the the location within the root project.You
> then have multiple projects, but only one codebase in the workspace.
> This is very easy with Eclipse 3.2.2, in Eclipse 3.2.1 you should not
> check out the root project  into the workspace but into another
> directory and import from there.

Thanks, Christian.  That's actually what I had done.  So you really have
two "views" into each module: one through the parent (where the checkout
really is), and one through the module's project (which is really a
pointer into the parent).

Is this the recommended way (path of least resistance)?  Especially in
comparison to a flat layout?
--
		-Greg

Re: Maven, CVS, Eclipse, and Continuum

Posted by Christian Bauer <ch...@getit.de>.
Hi Greg,

you can avoid topic

>2.a) ... This is sub-optimal, as each module is really in
> the workspace twice, once as a top-level Java project and once as a
> sub-directory in the parent project.

by only checking out the root project (with all sub modules) and then
importing the modules from the the location within the root project.You
then have multiple projects, but only one codebase in the workspace.
This is very easy with Eclipse 3.2.2, in Eclipse 3.2.1 you should not
check out the root project  into the workspace but into another
directory and import from there.

Christian

Greg Thompson schrieb:
> It seems that there are many rough edges relating to multimodule project
> development in Eclipse.  I've searched the mailing lists and found
> various people saying that they have usable setups, but I'm not sure
> that I buy it.  I've tried:
>
> 1. Flat project layout: parent POM references child modules as
> "../module1", while the children have relativePath to
> "../parent/pom.xml".  The CVS layout is the same: blahblah/parent,
> blahblah/module1, blahblah/module2.  Problems with this are, at least:
>
> a. continuum checks the projects out into numbered directories, thereby
> breaking the relative references.
>
> b. generating the site from within continuum yields broken links here
> and there.
>
> c. continuum aside, I seem to recall that the site plugin does odd
> things in this configuration.
>
> 2. Nest project layout: parent POM references child modules as
> "module1", while the children use the default relativePath.  The CVS
> layout matches: blahblah/parent, blahblah/parent/module1,
> blahblah/parent/module2.  Problems with this are, at least:
>
> a. to get the projects into Eclipse, we have to jump through hoops like
> check out the parent into the workspace (so we have a "parent" project),
> use the eclipse:eclipse goal to generate files, and then "import" the
> modules as eclipse projects (so we have a "module1" project and a
> "module2" project).  This is sub-optimal, as each module is really in
> the workspace twice, once as a top-level Java project and once as a
> sub-directory in the parent project.
>
> b. when adding to Continuum, Continuum checks out the parent and each
> module as separate projects (even though all modules are sub-dirs of the
> parent).  I have to manually delete the modules so that there's only the
> parent in continuum, and then remove the --non-recursive option.
>
> Surely someone has figured out a better way.  Is such better way clearly
> documented somewhere (rather than in a scattering of email messages that
> may or may not be relevant given recent changes to Maven, Continuum, and
> the myriad plugins involved)?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--

Dipl.-Inform. Christian Bauer
Softwareentwickler und Berater

-----