Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Eric Wiseblatt <er...@yodaya.com> on 2001/12/06 16:46:57 UTC

passing null fields to macros

I hope this is an appropriate forum. It's the best link I could find on
from the Velocity site.

I'm trying to pass a null field to a macro, but it seems that velocity
is converting the null to an empty string when going to a macro.

For example, I claim the following template would output
	NO NULL
	NO Value is '' | java.lang.String

#macro (broken $value)
#if ($value)
Value '$value' | $value.getClass()
#else
NULL
#end
#end

#if ($!bogus)
YES
#else
NO
#end
#broken($!bogus)

#if ($!bogus.field)
YES
#else
NO
#end
#broken($!bogus.field)

Is there some setting that controls this? Is it a bug (I hope)?
If it is a bug, how would I go about fixing it (or having it fixed)?
Please CC me on any mailing list replies as I dont subscribe.

Thanks.

- eric

Re: passing null fields to macros

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 12/6/01 10:46 AM, "Eric Wiseblatt" <er...@yodaya.com> wrote:

> I hope this is an appropriate forum. It's the best link I could find on
> from the Velocity site.

This would be the place!

> I'm trying to pass a null field to a macro, but it seems that velocity
> is converting the null to an empty string when going to a macro.
>
> For example, I claim the following template would output
> NO NULL
> NO Value is '' | java.lang.String

Do you mean 'does output' or 'should output'?

Using what version? I get :

NO
NULL

NO
NULL

Which I think is the right behavior

using whatever is sitting in my dev tree (1.3-geir :)

I did  a fix to this 'recently'.  Try the 1.2-rc3 and see if that helps.

> #macro (broken $value)
> #if ($value)
> Value '$value' | $value.getClass()
> #else
> NULL
> #end
> #end
>
> #if ($!bogus)
> YES
> #else
> NO
> #end
> #broken($!bogus)
>
> #if ($!bogus.field)
> YES
> #else
> NO
> #end
> #broken($!bogus.field)
>

> Is there some setting that controls this? Is it a bug (I hope)?
> If it is a bug, how would I go about fixing it (or having it fixed)?
> Please CC me on any mailing list replies as I dont subscribe.

Please subscribe.  I will not CC from this list, but will do a courtesy
forward once :)

Geir

> Thanks.
>
> - eric

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

System and Software Consulting
Be a giant.  Take giant steps.  Do giant things...