Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/26 08:46:00 UTC

Tomcat log in linux

In Windows, when you run Tomcat, a DOS command line window pops up and you
see real-time messages from Tomcat.  If something isn't going right ... you
see those messages.  Is there something analogous in Linux/Tomcat?  I'm
trying to get the dumb thing running but I'm not seeing any debug info and
the logs look relatively empty.

Thanks.
NEal

Re: Tomcat log in linux

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Have you even opened the command line in Linux?

Re: Tomcat log in linux

Posted by Randall R Schulz <rr...@cris.com>.
Neal,

On Unix (-like) systems, I'll usually start a separate terminal window (I
assume you've got an X Window System display connected to the Unix system
you're using) and start Tomcat there so I can monitor the standard output.
This achieves the same results as the window created by Windows when you
launch Tomcat there.

You should familiarize yourself with the "tail" command, particularly it's
"-f" option. (Use the "man" command: "man tail"). This allows you to
monitor additions to a file as they appear. This way you can keep log files
and monitor them visually at the same time.

For an alternative with similar possibilities, lear about the "tee"
utility. It operates in a pipeline by copying its input to its output (as
"cat" would do with no arguments) but also writes a copy of all the data
that passes through it to a file. I can append to the file, too.

Keep in mind that the terminal emulators have options that allow you to
specify how many lines scroll-back to preserve.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA