Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "V C, Srivathsan" <sr...@hp.com> on 2007/07/11 14:33:12 UTC

[Jetspeed 2.1 & 2.1.1] JSP Compilation Exception - Install directory has spaces

Hi All,

We are facing a critical exception when running our portal application
on Jetspeed 2.1.1. Our application runs a lot of JSPs, which depend on
quite a few internal libraries.

When Jetspeed is installed on a directory with spaces on Windows
(D:\Apache\Jetspeed 2.1.1), the JSPs throw compilation exceptions.

On looking at the logs, we see that the classpath is being set as a URL
(with %20 instead of a space) for all the lib files that are part of our
portal app. However, Jetspeed's default classpath is set correctly.

Interesting snippets of the log are reproduced below:

Jul 11, 2007 5:19:03 PM org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler
generateClass
SEVERE: Javac exception
Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
 at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:933)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:757)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:382)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:472)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)
 at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)
 at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.ja
va:511)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:295)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
Jul 11, 2007 5:19:03 PM org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler
generateClass
SEVERE: Env: Compile: javaFileName=/D:/Apache/Jetspeed
2.1.1-beta1/work/Catalina/localhost/ovdportal//org/apache/jsp/jsp\TempLo
gin_jsp.java

classpath=/D:/Apache/Jetspeed%202.1.1-beta1/webapps/ovdportal/WEB-INF/cl
asses/;/D:/Apache/Jetspeed%202.1.1-beta1/webapps/ovdportal/WEB-INF/lib/a
nt-1.6.5.jar;/D:/Apache/Jetspeed%202.1.1-beta1/webapps/ovdportal/WEB-INF
/lib/bia-common.jar;
    cp=D:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07\lib\tools.jar;D:\Apache\Jetspeed
2.1.1-beta1\bin\bootstrap.jar

cp=D:\Apache\Jetspeed%202.1.1-beta1\webapps\ovdportal\WEB-INF\classes

cp=D:\Apache\Jetspeed%202.1.1-beta1\webapps\ovdportal\WEB-INF\lib\ant-1.
6.5.jar
    cp=D:\Apache\Jetspeed 2.1.1-beta1\shared\classes
    cp=D:\Apache\Jetspeed
2.1.1-beta1\shared\lib\jetspeed-api-2.1.1-beta1.jar
    cp=D:\Apache\Jetspeed
2.1.1-beta1\shared\lib\jetspeed-commons-2.1.1-beta1.jar

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Can you suggest any
workaround for the same?

Thanks and Regards,
Srivathsan

Re: [Jetspeed 2.1 & 2.1.1] JSP Compilation Exception - Install directory has spaces

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Ate Douma wrote:
> V C, Srivathsan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are facing a critical exception when running our portal application
>> on Jetspeed 2.1.1. Our application runs a lot of JSPs, which depend on
>> quite a few internal libraries.
>>
>> When Jetspeed is installed on a directory with spaces on Windows
>> (D:\Apache\Jetspeed 2.1.1), the JSPs throw compilation exceptions.
>>
> <snip/>
>>
>> Has anyone encountered this problem before? Can you suggest any
>> workaround for the same?
> Problems with Java applications installed on Windows in directories
> with spaces are very common, just search on this on the net and you'll
> find plenty of examples.
> And there are many different sources of origin where it can break
> down, even in certain standard (SUN) JDK classes or other common java
> libraries.
> Trying to "fix" these issues I personally don't really care doing
> anymore, unless they are caused by my own code or directly related to
> that.
> I usually advise my clients to go for the easiest (and obvious)
> solution: just don't install in directories with spaces (under Windows
> that is).

Or use their 8.3 names in your environment variables.
CATALINA_HOME  is c:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\TOMCAT~6.0
Use the correct names from your machine. DIR/X will show you the names.

Ron

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.