Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Odhiambo Washington <wa...@wananchi.com> on 2002/01/03 13:15:13 UTC

Re: Installing apache-modssl port

* Kevin Golding <ke...@caomhin.demon.co.uk> [20020103 13:19]: wrote:
> What's in your httpd.conf?  I wonder if it's because you did the install
> in one hit, if you just do make it gives you a nice message telling you
> about the certificates, I do the following:

Hello Kevin,
Thanks for your response. can you imagine that I have been fighting with this
since 27th Dec 2001?
Okay today I have followed the guide below to do the installs after uninstalling
every bit that I had in my machine.

> http://matt.simerson.net/computing/apache.shtml has a guide to making it
> all work.

There was a problem though.... the mod_perl part did not go well and I had to
leave out one build option. The --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
seems to break things and I had to leave it out (not knowing the consequence ;-)).

Well now I have a running apache but still it can't parse the .php files. Instead
it still displays the php code.

I am attaching my httpd.conf now, hoping someone can spare some moments to fault it.

Thanks in advance.

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n.

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wa...@wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

++
Boy, life takes a long time to live
		-- Steven Wright

Re: Installing apache-modssl port

Posted by Odhiambo Washington <wa...@wananchi.com>.
* Odhiambo Washington <wa...@wananchi.com> [20020103 15:15]: wrote:

As a followup, it seems that the instructions at http://matt.simerson.net/computing/apache.shtml
did not quite get php support into the apache binary, I guess. The only place I faltered in
was the building of mod_perl but I did not quite need mod_perl as a prerequisite. I skipped
the last configure option for building mod_perl.
Now I have laid bare my server since it's a test env - https://alligator.wananchi.com/server-info
is accessible by all. I don't see PHP as part of it. Does someone have a quick and dirt way to
get PHP support included in the Apache binary?

Thanks for all your support.

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n i s t r a t o r
--

Odhiambo Washington	/"\	RED Ribbon Campaign
Wananchi Online Ltd.,	\ /	Against AIDS.

++
"Have you lived here all your life?"
"Oh, twice that long."

Re: Installing apache-modssl port

Posted by Fred Koschara <wf...@L5Development.com>.
At 03:15 PM 1/3/02 +0300, Odhiambo Washington <wa...@wananchi.com> wrote:
>There was a problem though.... the mod_perl part did not go well and I had to
>leave out one build option. The --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
>seems to break things and I had to leave it out (not knowing the
>consequence ;-)).
>
>Well now I have a running apache but still it can't parse the .php files.
>Instead
>it still displays the php code.

You HAVE to have the --activate-module=libphp4.a line, or it's not going to be
available to Apache.

As explained in the PHP INSTALL file:

    QUICK INSTALL (Static)

    $ gunzip -c apache_1.3.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    $ cd apache_1.3.x
    $ ./configure
    $ cd ..

    $ gunzip -c php-4.0.x.tar.gz | tar xf -
    $ cd php-4.0.x
    $ ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x --enable-track-vars
    $ make
    $ make install

    $ cd ../apache_1.3.x
    $ ./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
     (The above line is correct!  Yes, we know libphp4.a does not exist at
      this stage.  It isn't supposed to.  It will be created.)
    $ make
     (you should now have an httpd binary which you can copy to your Apache
      bin dir if is is your first install then you need to "make install" as
      well)
    $ cd ../php-4.0.x
    $ cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini
    You can edit /usr/local/lib/php.ini file to set PHP options.
    Edit your httpd.conf or srm.conf file and add:
      AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

It's a little more complicated than that with mod_perl, but not terribly so.
I first built mod_perl, then used this shell script (run from the Apache
directory) to build Apache:

    ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
    cd /software/PHP/php-4.1.0
    ./configure --with-apache=/software/Apache/apache_1.3.22 \
                   --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
                --with-openssl \
                --with-pgsql \
                --enable-trans-sid \
                --with-zlib
    make
    make install
    cd /software/Apache/apache_1.3.22
    # configure MUST be re-run after upgrading PHP
    ./configure --enable-module=most \
                --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a \
                --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
                --enable-shared=max \
                --enable-suexec --suexec-caller=httpd --suexec-docroot=/web \
                --suexec-uidmin=1000 --suexec-gidmin=1000 \
                --server-uid=httpd --server-gid=httpd
    make
    make install

You also need to have these lines in your httpd.conf:
    # Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
    #
    # Note: The order in which modules are loaded is important.  Don't change
    # the order below without expert advice.
    #
          .
          .    (other LoadModule statements)
          .
    LoadModule perl_module                  libexec/libperl.so
    LoadModule php4_module                  libexec/libphp4.so

    #  Reconstruction of the complete module list from all available modules
    #  (static and shared ones) to achieve correct module execution order.
    #  [WHENEVER YOU CHANGE THE LOADMODULE SECTION ABOVE UPDATE THIS, TOO]
    ClearModuleList
          .
          .    (other AddModule statements)
          .
    AddModule mod_perl.c
    AddModule mod_php4.c

-- Fred Koschara, President
    L5 Development Group
For private sector (commercial) space development, visit
	http://www.L5Development.com
L5 Software Development - "out of this world" sites and software
	http://www.L5Software.com
StudioLines.com - Your place on the Internet for local music
	Music, feedback, connections. Tap the power of the Internet!
	http://www.StudioLines.com
How much did your last traffic ticket cost you?
	http://www.StopHighwayRobbery.com
ThmIndxr(tm), the *only* HTML thumbnail/indexer you need!
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?ThmIndxr
wCapLock(tm), makes CapsLock work like it does on a typewriter
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?wCapLock
KeywordGo(tm), provides keyword access to your popular pages
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?KeywordGo
BannerAds(tm), join multiple affiliate programs with one banner
	http://www.L5Software.com/go?BannerAds
My personal Web page is http://www.L5Development.com/wfredk
	Stop by some time!