Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/09 19:58:53 UTC

Re: Possible NPE when shutting down server??

I don't seem to have noted in this thread that I created
DIRSERVER-1002 on this issue.  I'm finding it a bit annoying that I
have to provide these bogus security credentials to avoid an NPE.
Would anyone mind if I fixed this either by removing the
DefaultDirectoryServer.checkSecuritySettings method or by changing
AbstractContextFactory.getInitialContext around line 116 to

         if ( cfg instanceof ShutdownConfiguration )
         {
             service.shutdown();
             return new DeadContext();
         }

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

On 8/9/07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
> I would rather fix the NPE and indicate to the failure to be due to
> someone not being authorized to shutdown the server.
>

> Sure, but currently what is happening is
> FIRST we shut down the server
> SECOND we see if some credentials were supplied
> NEVER we check if the credentials were valid.

Well that's not good at all.  For now we should check the credentials.

Given this I think the best first step is eliminating (2) entirely since
> it's basically meaningless.  I also am not quite sure I understand why in-vm
> shutdown should require credentials at all.  But then I don't understand why
> the server is started and stopped through new InitialDirContext(props)
> either.

Long story short, we need to build in better security into the server to
sandbox stored procedures
so they can only do things as the user that owns it.  This was setup
originally to enforce that but
it fails miserably.

There are many things to do to set things straight but for the time being I
suggest we just patch
this security issue by checking the credentials then making sure an
informative error message
with the correct exception (a ConfigurationException) is thrown when these
required parameters
are not provided.

I'd like to elaborate further on this but there are some issues which still
remain weak in my mind
but I will figure them out and get back to this thread.

Regards,
Alex

thanks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.