Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Foo Ji-Haw <jh...@extracktor.com> on 2005/09/13 04:51:32 UTC

Why does my MP2 crash intermittently?

Hello all,

I have set up my MP2 application, which in the course of development has been reasonably stable. But when I put it under reasonably load (I have a daemon with 5 threads that call it periodically, and I browse around the pages with 2 other collegues), sometimes I get this error (see attached for the actually screenshot):
The instruction at "0x280877f1" referenced memory at "0x515ee28". The memory coudl not be "read".

The application basically freezes at this point. Clicking on the OK button seems to bring MP2 back to operations immediately. Looking at the log, Apache seems to have restarted.

This is very annoying, as my app is generally ready to go, but intermittent errors like this makes it otherwise. Nothing else is capture in the log, so I don't know where to go to discover the culprit.

Can anyone please advise me on this? Appreciate it!

Re: Why does my MP2 crash intermittently?

Posted by Foo Ji-Haw <jh...@extracktor.com>.
Hello Stephane,

I've had a good tip from Mike (thanks Mike!) that the problem is Windows
related. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262490 for details.

Although they claimed that it is a pre-SP1 problem, I'm running SP4 on W2K
and I'm still seeing it. Will try the same setup on W2K3 and see if the
problem persists.

My situation seems to be worse than yours. I have the following already in
my httpd.conf:
PerlModule Apache2::Reload
PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload

But it did not change anything.

Posted by Stephane GUIBOUD-RIBAUD <st...@st.com>.

Posted by Foo Ji-Haw <jh...@extracktor.com>.
Hello Mike,

You are right. I automatically assumed that this is a MP2 problem, when actually it is a Windows issue!

The strange thing is, that I'm already running on SP4 of Windows 2000. This problem should have been resolved by then. It is true that I do load lots of stuff via a db call. But normal contiguous calls to the page does not return errors; the error seems to be quite unpredictable.

I wonder if the problem will go away in Windows 2003...

Did anyone else face this issue as well? Or is it just me?
  "This behavior occurs because the operating system does not allocate a large enough buffer for the maximum string length permitted. When the data is greater than the buffer size, the Winlogon service terminates abnormally and your computer generates the error message. "

  Gotta love Microsoft eh???  Mike

Posted by Mike OK <mi...@acorg.com>.
Hi

Posted by Nikolay Ananiev <an...@thegdb.com>.
Hello,
I had a similar problem with mp2 on windows. I was using Visual Studio .NET
2002 to compile mod_perl and this
was the source of all evil. A bug in .NET.
I had to download service pack 1 for .NET 2002 from microsoft.com and
recompile mod_perl.

If this doesn't help you should supply a backtrace. (I hope you have visual
studio?)

First read this
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Analyzing_Dumped_Core_Files
then recompile your perl, apache and mod_perl with the debbuging flags.
Then start your visual studio.
Start your apache server and wait for the bad message window to appear
again,
and when it happens, click Cancel. A new window should
show up asking you whether to use VS to debbug the application - click OK.
Check "Native" for the "Program type to debug".
If the call stack doesn't appear go to Debug->Windows->Call Stack.
Then copy the stack and paste it here.
It should be something like this:

  USER32.DLL!77e41706()
  perl58.dll!win32_msgwait(interpreter * my_perl=0x01a43a64, unsigned long
count=0, void * * handles=0x00000000, unsigned long timeout=300000, unsigned
long * resultp=0x00000000)  Line 1950 + 0x18 C
  perl58.dll!win32_sleep(unsigned int t=300)  Line 2135 + 0x16 C
  perl58.dll!PerlProcSleep(IPerlProc * piPerl=0x015d2780, unsigned int
s=300)  Line 1656 + 0x9 C++
  perl58.dll!Perl_pp_sleep(interpreter * my_perl=0x01a43a64)  Line 4535 +
0xb C